How Do Bubba Pucks Work?

Started by SYVSteve, September 15, 2004, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SYVSteve

New guy here.  
I just ordered-up some oak and maple bisquettes and noticed the Bubba Pucks.  I didn't see any explanation of how to use them or how they work so I didn't order them.  Any info?
Thanks,
Steve

Smoke it and they will come.

BigSmoker

Steve,
Bubba Pucks are used to push the last smoke puck onto the heater element.  The smoke generator pushes one puck every 20 minutes onto the heater element.  If you load two Bubba Pucks after the last wood puck all of your wood pucks will advance onto the heater element.  Don't forget when you are ready for the smoke you have to push the puck advance button 3 times.  Happy Smokin'.[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SYVSteve

Thanks Jeff - that makes sense.

Steve

Smoke it and they will come.

Fuzzybear

Yeah but I'd wait till the heating element got warmed up before advancing a valuable piece of wood to a premature death.....

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

nsxbill

Some use an additional puck after the Bubba Puck to push the last embers of the last puck into the water pan.  No one has reported any problems with one of the Bubba Pucks sitting on the heating element.  

Makes sense to me, so the acrid taste of the last puck doesn't permeate the ever so carefully smoked meat.

I think that Chez should consider selling as three puck group instead of two.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I too use the Bubba Pucks, and I have just started advancing the Bubba Pucks to push the last wood puck off the heating pad. The aluminum puck sitting on the heating pad does not present any problems.

What I am doing is placing a wood puck on top of the Bubba Pucks, in order to advance the Bubba puck to push the last burnt wood puck off the heating pad. Now the heat conducted through the Bubba pucks will cause a slight browning on the surface were the wood puck touches the Bubba puck, (and this was after 5 hours of heat contact) but it was in perfect condition to use in my next smoke.

A Bubba Three Pack would be a good idea.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

OK,

Due to popular demand: The 3-puck set at $21.95, One extra puck at $7.95 for all of you who bought before & want to upgrade. I still have to try it, but I don't see what's wrong with the idea of the 3rd wood puck to follow. Seems a lot cheaper to me.

Knock yourselves out, make me rich![;)] Ya right.[:D][:D][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Thunder Fish

Second time this weekend I used my Bradley.Nearing the end of the smoke I went to the garage and took 3- 2" stainless clamps,turned them inside out screwed together until they were 2".Than wrapped them in foil and put them through the feeder with no problems at all.
 Just a thought if ya need some  NOW!
[:)]

nsxbill

<font color="red">What are 2" Stainless Clamps?</font id="red">  

The path to Smoker Nervana has many routes.  Glad this worked for you.  

I actually thought of casting some clay pucks and putting through a kiln.  Then I discovered the Bubba Pucks, and since I had no intention of competing, I bought them instead.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Thunder Fish

Regular "Trico" Radiator hose clamps,there excactly 1/2" high and will turn to 2" dia if you buy the right ones.Oh ya run them through the dishwasher first as they have a type of "oil" on them enjoy! ! !

nsxbill

Very clever.  Thanks.  Obviously for the person who doesn't want to puck around!  OUCH!

Bill

whitetailfan

Thunder Fish,
That was damn clever of you!  Where there is enough desire a plan will be forged.

Did the adjuster not stick up too much?  I would think this would be too uneven to run through the biscuit advancer...how did you compensate for that?  Does the foil wrap smooth out the height difference?

Actually, I better go home and look at a clamp - I'm picturing the adjuster sticking up above the width of the clamp, but if it is flush, then that would explain why you turned it inside out.  If the adjuster is the same height as the clamp is wide, then this is one of the best ideas I have heard of for improving our smoking experience at next to no cost at all whatsoever.

Good insight TF I'm pretty impressed[:D], so often the simplest ideas are the best ones - makes you wonder how no one thought of it sooner.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Thunder Fish

Adjusters seem to be fine height wise I just insured they were facing the smoker when I loaded them,if there was a jam then the 1/2" clamp could collaspe instead of jaming the adjuster.
 All went well the first time round just insure the foil is folded the right way and is smooth on the top and mainly bottom.How many times they can be used for ? ? ? ? ? think I'll just rewrap them until I find some 2"stainless or alum pipe(steel would rust first use [xx(] )

Danish ribs next time around [:p] [:p] [:D] [:)]

msiler

just find your local surplus/jusk store that handles metal, preferably aluminum. have them slice you off some 1/2 inch pieces of roundstock. The cutting will cost more than material.. comes to about a buck each.

When in doubt smoke it.

bighoof

Hey Chez, how do I get the 3 pucks for 21.95 deal, I see your website still has just the 2 pack deal? Haven't checked, but can I use paypal?

thanks jeff