Keep the smoker hot,after door is open

Started by chuck steak, June 14, 2007, 01:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck steak

Hey guys, I have read in post after post about the temp going down a lot when you open door to rotate racks. As u all know I just got mine so I haven't done to much rotating (lol). It occured to me lastnite, that placing hot lava rock around the bowl might help slove this problem. Whatcha think????
I got lava rock for my old grill at the home depot and wasn't to expensive as I recall.
I was thinking you could heat them up on top of the grill and use tongs to place them in smoker after you get the smoker good and warm. humm humm. Does that sound like a good idea?

Habanero Smoker

That will work, but if you put them in during the preheating stage, you may be able to skip the step of heating them up first. Though heating them would speed up the preheating of the cabinet. If you do a search on "brick" you will see many use that to help retain heat. I seem recent post which members have been using iron grates and iron pans in the same manner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chuck steak

Ok that sounds good too, think I'll stick with the lava rock throu. Gets hot fast and holds it longer, or so says the bag. LOL but can you belive what the bag has on it? hahahahaha gonna give it a shot and findout.

Wildcat

Let us know.  If nothing else it weighs less.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

CLAREGO

i Use Bricks been using them for a long while now they never leave my smoker. the bricks i found in my basment i washed them up reel good soak them in water for a day wash it again and then i put them in my oven i think i left them in there at 350 for four 4 hours. i keep one above the product im smoking and one right underneath the pucker! ;D

hillbillysmoker

I use an old time flat iron wrapped in aluminum foil.  Works great.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes