Old Hand at Smoking/New To Bradley

Started by Johnny Guitar, June 05, 2007, 10:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Guitar

Hey Every Body,

I've been smoking for years. I just unpacked my new Digital 4 rack Smoker.  Got an easy question.  If your gonna do ribs at 225 for 4-5 hours cooking would you be applying smoke the entire time?

You might put two batched of soaked wood chips on the propane powered water smoker, each batch might last one hour.

I found that if you smoked the entire time it would be too strong.  Let me know.

BTW - the secret to moist ribs is brining the Ribs for 1 hour before you put your rub on.
Cheers,

Gizmo

Welcome Johnny.

Most will only apply smoke for 4 hours max.  Some of the lighter taste buds 2 hours.  Type of wood will also make a difference.  The wood pucks do not get a bath before being used.  They go on dry and burn for 20 minutes each.  You will need 3 additional disks for pushing the final wood puck on the burner.  Most here use "Bubba Pucks" (2 plus a wood in the last position or 3 metal).  Others have found suitable alternatives as well.  Using all wood will end up wasting one nearest the burner as it will partially burn since it sits next to the one on the burner.

Let us know if you need any additional information.
Smoke on!
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

winemakers

Interesting thought, that brining ribs.   I've brined most every other non-bovine critter part, but never ribs.......let the experimentation begin!

Johnny Guitar

Winemakers,

IMHO you want your ribs to be moist when you bite them off the bone.  I have found that a simple brine:

1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 quarts cold water

does the trick. 
Only go for 1 hour.  If you go long (I have) the meat gets mushy.  So, I brine my ribs for an hour, then rinse them off, pat them dry, apply my rub, wrap in plastic, chill in the ice box over night.  Then let the smokin' begin. 

BTW, where do you get the Bubba Pucks?

Caio
Cheers,

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Johnny Guitar on June 06, 2007, 09:56:40 AM
Winemakers,

IMHO you want your ribs to be moist when you bite them off the bone.  I have found that a simple brine:

1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 quarts cold water

does the trick. 
Only go for 1 hour.  If you go long (I have) the meat gets mushy.  So, I brine my ribs for an hour, then rinse them off, pat them dry, apply my rub, wrap in plastic, chill in the ice box over night.  Then let the smokin' begin. 

BTW, where do you get the Bubba Pucks?

Caio

Try here for some pucks.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5377.0

nepas

iceman

Quote from: winemakers on June 06, 2007, 04:06:35 AM
Interesting thought, that brining ribs.   I've brined most every other non-bovine critter part, but never ribs.......let the experimentation begin!
Works well if you want to try it. I've been using different flavor liquid besides water lately and have come into some interesting tasting ribs. I still like just rubbing them down and tossing in the smoker and mopping once in a while. :P :)

MWS

I've tried brining baby back ribs also with good results. I used coarse salt, brown sugar and spices but have let mine soak for 2-3 hours.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"