Takin' out the BDS for its Maiden Voyage

Started by NorthernSmoke, May 26, 2007, 03:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Quote from: NorthernSmoke on May 28, 2007, 09:01:15 PM
Thanks again for the great advice. SK, your comments about the plateau are really interesting. It's like chemistry class: remember how when you melt ice in a glass, and the temperature doesn't change until all the ice melts because the heat is being used up melting the ice. Once the ice melts, the temperature starts to increase. I wonder if breakdown of the connective tissue in the shoulder works the same way. As the breakdown is occurring, is the heat is being used up in that process? Once the breakdown is finished, the meat starts to heat up again.
It works exactly the same way, during a phase change no temp. change until the phase change is done.  Welcome.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

SKSmoker

then the fun part comes when you see it slowly going up from the plateau, only to realize it is going to take another 5 hours to get to 185, and another 3 to get to 195!

A butt is very forgiving. You should almost just ignore the damn thing for the first 18 hours, then go look at the thermometer!
Lead by example

West Coast Kansan

??? Shoulders or Butts, I see shoulders finishing faster than butts, which makes sense to me because the shoulder is cleaner meat  ???

I have never taken a shoulder to 195 without it starting to dry out.... butts I have learned to take to a higher IT without problems.  I use exactly the same technique and FTC on each. Just different ITs.

I am still pulling shoulders at 180 for slicing and butts at 190 - maybe a little more if i am patient and the time is right - for pulled pork. 

Am I the only one seeing a difference  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)