freezing

Started by car54, October 05, 2004, 11:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

It is less costly to smoke more meat but it is just my wife and myself at home. Does any one have any experience with freezing and reheating their smoked foods? What have the results been?

Habanero Smoker

I often freeze and reheat smoked meats. I prefer to smoke large amounts, then cut or seperate it into protions (of my choice), vacuum seal it with my Food Saver, then freeze. The smaller portions, I can take out of the freezer, and drop the sealed bag in boiling water to reheat. Larger portions, I will defrost in the refridgerator, take the meat out of the bag then place the meat in a covered pan, and warm in an oven. Or use it in casseroles, chilies, soup or other recipes that call for cooked meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRed

As Habanero States you can freeze smoked meats. BUT only if you invest in a Food Saver vacum machine. My wife and I will buy large quantities of foods at Sam' or Costco and divide servings for two suck it up with the Food Saver and it will last for many months. The same is true with Smoked meats. You just don't get freezer burn or freezer taste!  You can get a Food Saver system at Sam's. I am sure I am not telling all the fellow smokers anything new but just in case........

BigRED

BigSmoker

Ditto, food saver a must.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Excellent advice. I like that boil water method a lot~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigRed

Gentlemen!

My wife said to say that! :You can even go so far as to suck up fresh sweet corn and suck it up in the Food Saver then serve it in the winter. A caution, if you are wanting to suck up stuff with a lot of liquid base freeze it over night then use the Food Saver to vacum it the next day, if not you will have a mess on your hands. Did it without freezing and spent and hour cleaning up Pasta sauce!

BigRED

Chez Bubba

Red,

I think you just set a forum record for the usage of "suck" in one post![:D]

I can't believe I've never thought of your idea with the liquids. It's so simple, I feel like an idiot. Thanks![8D]

Olds,

The boil-in-bag thing is great. If you do it right, it won't "cook" the meat, just bring it up to eatin' temp. For thicker cuts, I allow more time & don't boil. That way the outside doesn't overheat.

WhereAreYou?,

I routinely freeze leftover smokes because I have a tendency to do more in the summer. Sure makes it nice to be able to dump some in a batch of chili or stew in winter without the extra work.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefJeff

After a copy of S& S,a food saver is a must have unless you are smokin for the "500".If here is a lot of liquid in the item you are trying to suck place a paper towel below the sealing point on the bag or freeze it .[:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

whitetailfan

Smoked butts always has too much meat for me for one meal.  We re-warm ours in a slow cooker/crock pot, but I really like the boiling water system, I'm trying that next.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

We also vacuum seal then boil the bags to heat it. Vacuum sealers are great![:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

car54

Thanks for your input. What models of food savers do you like?

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />Thanks for your input. What models of food savers do you like?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Car 54_

I have one of the original Fodd Savers model 550. This is my second one since I used the first one up until it wore out. The Food Saver people replaced it for $40.00. There are several different models, I don't think you can even get the old 550 model.  There is a model out where you put a roll of bag material in the machine and you make your own bags.I do not like to make my own bags and prefer to buy the bags with three side sealed. Sam's and Costco have the best price. You get all kinds of other stuff with it like canisters and a apparatus to seal mason jars but I never use them. Just for sucking up food. I have to be careful using that word. Hope that helps!

BigRED