Your new source for Bubba Pucks

Started by Chez Bubba, June 05, 2007, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

There are many ways to do business over the internet, including ebay and personal websites.  Some businesses reduce the product price and hit you with higher shipping and handling charges, some mark it up more and give a reduced rate on the shipping with no handling charge, and others (like me) keep it the same price as walk in customers and try to get the shipping charges to be what it actually costs.

I'm not in the "Bubba Puck" business (not feasible for me to compete and still turn a profit), so I can't say who is screwing people over and who is not.  I will say this though, when I'm buying something, I search around for the best deal including shipping, then check into their customer satisfaction (if it is posted somewhere), and make my purchase.  I'll also let them know why I chose them, and if I don't get good service, why I won't be choosing them in the future.

Lefty_Smoker

Quote from: acords on May 29, 2008, 10:25:50 AM
QuoteHint:  it ain't the ebay sellers!

Hint:  Yard and Pool is owned by a LONG TIME forum member

I know that.

Like I said, I don't mind anybody shilling for them as long as they are being truthful in doing so. 

Kummok

Quote from: Lefty_Smoker on May 29, 2008, 07:33:47 AM

....The cheapest source for bubba pucks is by far ebay.

....The cheapest source continues to be the regular ebay offering of a set of (3) pucks for $25.99 plus $6 shipping, for a grand total of $31.99 shipped.....

Most long term forum users know that I developed the original 'Bubba Puck' a few years ago, based upon a suggestion from a fellow forum user, then partnered with Chez Bubba (hence the name 'Bubba Puck' ... 'Kummok-Puck' was just all wrong!  ;) ), to make it available to all. This forum and the forum users were instrumental in making the 'Bubba Puck' the solution it has become for many Bradley users, whether forum regulars or not. Although I no longer have a dog in the "Who's least expensive" fight, it is important to correct the improper use of name, 'Bubba Puck'. The folks from Michigan & Iowa that copied the original Bubba Puck (and advertising format) and started selling them on eBay at least didn't rip off the 'Bubba Puck' name too. There is only one original Bubba Puck that was developed by and for users on this forum and that's the one still sold by the regular forum user via Yard & Pool. The history and association with the forum and its users won't mean diddly to some, but its important to many others.

And before I get accused of shilling, I simply offer the above as a historical perspective on the use of the original Bubba Puck name. When LS used is when referring to copycat's version, it had the same sound to me as fingernails on the chalkboard :o ....kind of in the same way many used to call all small motorcycles "Hondas" back in the 60s, regardless of the actual brand name.  ;)   Although you can tell I have a disdain for unoriginal thinkers, I don't have any problem with shrewd thinkers trying to make a buck through invention, making a better product, or making the same quality product less costly to the smart buyer.

Wildcat

Quote from: Lefty_Smoker on May 29, 2008, 07:33:47 AM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 28, 2008, 06:42:07 PM
I ordered mine from the Yard and Pool guys, cause I got a bunch of dead links looking. The ebay people wanted to rape you on shipping charges.

Through their website, Y&P charges $8.95 shipping for a set of (3) pucks, plus the $25.95 price.  Total $34.90 shipped.

I now see that Y&P has started selling pucks on ebay too.  Guess what they charge for shipping through ebay?  $9.95 per set!!!  Thats in addition to the $9.95 price per puck.  So a set of (3) pucks through Y&P on ebay would cost you $39.80!!!

The cheapest source continues to be the regular ebay offering of a set of (3) pucks for $25.99 plus $6 shipping, for a grand total of $31.99 shipped.   

So who is doing the raping on the price of pucks AND shipping?  ::)

I do not know much about internet selling.  I have made some purchases, but have never sold.

I submit that Y&P may have extra expenses involved by selling on e-bay.  I do not know but that could explain why his products cost $4.90 more on e-bay.  At the same time, you mentioned that the cheapest price on e-bay is $31.99.  Perhaps that is a larger outfit that gets a larger break at the factory and perhaps even from e-bay (assuming that e-bay charges).  From my view point, I prefer to spend the extra $3.91 at Y&P to help out a fellow forum member.  I have not yet purchased from Y&P nor have I purchased from Tiny Tim yet.

Perhaps you are a little pre-mature with your judgement of Y&P and accords as well.  Most forum members support each other and since Y&P is not much higher in price than the "cheapest out there", I do not think there is any wrong doing or undue support taking place here.

Let us all remain friends.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

Quote from: Kummok on May 29, 2008, 11:20:43 AM
....The history and association with the forum and its users won't mean diddly to some, but its important to many others......

Obviously you are in the latter group of my earlier post, Wildcat! ;) :)

Smoking Duck

Well, my 2 cents for what it's worth (and no, I'm not employed by Y&P, nor am I a family member) is this:

I've done business with Y&P and they have always gone above and beyond the call of customer service.  They are great forum members here who will do anything to help.  I've never, ever been ripped off by them and I'd rather support someone I know than someone I don't.

I cannot say the same for Ebay sellers.  I have been ripped off by Ebay as a buyer and a seller and I have 100% positive feedback on over 500 transactions.  They charge you a price to list the product and then they charge you a percentage of the product sold as well.  God forbid you should pay via Paypal as they (also owned by Ebay) then get a percentage of that.  You don't see all the costs associated with Ebay as the buyer; only the seller does.  All things being equal, I buy from my friends (I really don't care if it costs a little more; I know when I order from Y&P, it's gonna be done right).

If that makes me a schill, I'll be a schill all day long and twice on Sundays.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smoking Duck

Let me add this story:

When I first got started smoking, I didn't know bupkus about spacer pucks and made the rookie mistake of only ordering one.  Y&P called me to let me know of my mistake and said that normally people order two pucks.  They knew I was a newbie at this and instead of having me pay for a second one, they sent me a second one at no cost to me. 

Try to find that on E-bay.  If someone asks me where to purchase something, I like to know that the business I send them to is going to be reliable.  I don't want to send someone here to an unreliable business and for my money, Y&P is as reliable as they come.  Sure, you may be able to find things a little cheaper.  But, with Y&P, you know that you'll be well taken care of. 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Lefty_Smoker

Guys, I have absolutely no problem with Y&P, from everything that I hear, they are very fine folks indeed.  I never meant to imply that they are overcharging for anything, as they are free to charge whatever they want for their products and services.  I simply took issue with somebody saying that the ebay sellers were "raping" buyers with their shipping charges, which I simply showed was not the case.   

I begrudge nobody for spending a few extra dollars to support the fine folks at Y&P, just as long as you know you are doing so.

For those that prefer to save a few bucks (and many do!), I'll continue to point them to ebay. 

Kummok

...The history and association with the forum and its users won't mean diddly to some, but its important to many others....

Like I said..  ;) ;)        No harm/No foul LS ....thanX for not calling "the other guys" copies 'Bubba Pucks' in this last post!  ;) :D :D

Now back to doing what we do better...Sssmooookin'  8)  Still trying to get my OBS Triple Play installed in my shop....my wife's "flowers that need planting" keep getting in the way, since her flowers are here in AK and she's still in WA...  :-\ :'(

huhwhatliar

Quote from: Kummok on May 29, 2008, 01:20:27 PM
...The history and association with the forum and its users won't mean diddly to some, but its important to many others....

Like I said..  ;) ;)        No harm/No foul LS ....thanX for not calling "the other guys" copies 'Bubba Pucks' in this last post!  ;) :D :D

Now back to doing what we do better...Sssmooookin'  8)  Still trying to get my OBS Triple Play installed in my shop....my wife's "flowers that need planting" keep getting in the way, since her flowers are here in AK and she's still in WA...  :-\ :'(

Looks like you need to hire someone to help you.. I'll work for room and board for the next, lets say 5 years  ;)

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Wildcat

Quote from: Lefty_Smoker on May 29, 2008, 01:01:22 PM
I begrudge nobody for spending a few extra dollars to support the fine folks at Y&P, just as long as you know you are doing so.

For those that prefer to save a few bucks (and many do!), I'll continue to point them to ebay. 

I like seeing posts of people price shopping.  This way we all know the going rates for different things.  Personally I will pay a couple of extra bucks for excellent customer service.  ;)

Tiny Tim

Good to hear, let me know when you need something, Cat. ;) :D :D :D

Wildcat

Quote from: Tiny Tim on May 29, 2008, 01:51:28 PM
Good to hear, let me know when you need something, Cat. ;) :D :D :D

:D  Tiny, you already know that the first time that I need something that you carry I will make the purchase with you.  I also plan to shop at Y&P.  I just will not need any wood pucks for awhile since I got so many from Chez when he closed shop.  I probably got a good deal when I did so.  Never checked.  I was trying to help him unload inventory.  Sure wish he still posted and hope all is well with him and his family.  They are good people.

Tiny Tim

I know...just saw the opportunity for a joke and jumped on it.

Wish I would have been around when Chez was posting, so I could have gotten to know him like the rest of you have.

Kummok

Quote from: huhwhatliar on May 29, 2008, 01:27:09 PM

Looks like you need to hire someone to help you.. I'll work for room and board for the next, lets say 5 years  ;)

Domenick

Come on up Domenick....but hurry; I've still got what-seems-like 20 acres of grass to finish mowing too. My wife (the one in Seattle right now!) is the grass mower in our team (she LOVES it!) Fertile ground, too much grass, and looooong hours of sunshine means I just get done mowing and then gotta start all over again. Kinda like the clean-one-gun-per-day philosophy....not enough days in the year, especially when you take a few months off to head south...  ;)