BBQGuru First Impression

Started by nsxbill, September 27, 2004, 01:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Bill,
I have only had my Guru for a few months so I am no expert but from what I have experienced so far and heard is as follows.  You can start at a higher temp for a faster cook without the loss of moisture in the ramp mode.  I personally have only used the ramp mode for insurance on overnight cooks.  Seems like I remember on one of the instruction sheets they don't recommend ramp mode.  I think they show some graphs on the guru site about starting at a higher temp and then the guru ramping the temp of the pit down until the meat and pit temp is equal or pit temp just a little less.  Brisket is basically the same as cooking butt.  It all seems to evolve around the plateau.  Once the pleateau is complete you can also raise the temp to finish.  By temp raise I mean going from 235 to 275f in the non ramp mode.  So far I have started slow and ended slow.  I always try and make sure I allow 1 1/2 hrs. per pound when cooking brisket @ 225-250f.  Most times this works out.  When cooking a butt I usually get up early and finish around supper so I haven't felt the need to use the ramp mode.  I think overnight in the fridge with rub(mustard to if you want, Bradley seems to hold in plenty of moisture though)is a great idea.  Cook/smoke brisket(I have sorta gotten partical to pecan for 4 hours)until internal temp is 185f.  Wrap brisket in heavy duty foil then 2 old towels and in the empty cooler for 2hrs(the brisket will stay hot for at least 8 hrs).  I think this procedure is standard for most brisket cookers.  You must at least let the brisket rest for 45 min. before cutting.  This allows for the juices to redistribute.  If you cut a brisket straight of the smoker all the juice will run out and your brisket will be dry as a bone.  Good luck with the briskets and let us know how they turn out.  P.S. I just tried some coffee infused rub on a steak last night.  It was incredible.  Next brisket will be rubbed down with this stuff[:p][:p]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Jeff,

Last Brisket I just preheated the cabinet, and set BS cook temp at 205 and walked away with the meat set point at 185.  Smoked with Maple for 4 hours with the vent open about 1/8th.  This time, because this brisket looks soooo lean, I am going to bard with bacon or put on top shelf to drip down, do the 4 hour thing, and then apply some mild tasty sweet sauce and try wrapping in Saran and foil, and continuing to cook the meat wrapped-up for the remainder of the cooking time.  Someone raved about the results.  

I will probably consume the bacon with some Alaskan Amber [^] instead of including the bacon in the foil packs. [:p] Will probably rewrap before the hours in the cooler post-smoking wrapped in towel.

Comments [?]  Suggestions [?]  Lots of time, as will be saucing and rubbing tonight to start the cook about 3 a.m.

Damn it is nice to be able to ask the experts on this list!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Lots of time, as will be saucing and rubbing tonight<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yikes!  Chez, I'm afeared....what's your take on this from our buddy Bill?

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

nsxbill

Ouch...how my words are twisted - didn't even give suggestions! [V]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

Hey Bill, I'm sitting here laughing my butt (pork?) off...that was too funny!

What city are you in out here in CA???

Glendora, CA - USA!

nsxbill

I am 30 miles east of Sacramento on Highway 50 going towards Lake Tahoe.  Community of Cameron Park/Shingle Springs.

Bill

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
[brYikes!  Chez, I'm afeared....what's your take on this from our buddy Bill?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You beat me to it again Fuzz![:)]

To answer your question, he is either:

A) Gonna have some great Q tomorrow.

or

B) Get arrested.

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they Q for you?[:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

A very nice part of the State, Bill...now I understand the need for the Bradley Tank Hummer!

Glendora, CA - USA!

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />try wrapping in Saran and foil, and continuing to cook the meat wrapped-up for the remainder of the cooking time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill,
Did they continue cooking with the brisket wrapped in saran wrap or cooked the brisket then wrapped in saran wrap for the resting period?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

One of the guys said in his recent experience with brisket, that he wrapped after smoking 4 hours in saran and then foil, and finished cooking the rest of the way wrapped.  The one thing done prior to wrapping it up is turning the brisket over to make fat side down, and applying bbq sauce on top, then wrapping up for the rest of the time.

I was going to do that this morning, but did  a couple of whole chickens last night, and we have food coming out our ears.  Son is coming over Sunday with his gf, so will probably smoke the briskets over Sat night-Sunday morning.  I will let you know how everything comes out.

Hey gentlemen <font color="blue">(Including Fuzzy and Chez)</font id="blue">, how about some discusion on vent management.  When I have meat smoking I have the vent open about 1/8th.  Is this something everyone does?<font color="red">How about after the smoking is completed, and you are going for long slow cook?  Do you completely close the vent?</font id="red">

Bill

Fuzzybear

I only close the vent fully when warming up the Bradley...during cooking and after smoke, I move it around from 1/8 to 1/4 to regulate the temp but never close it all the way...

Glendora, CA - USA!

nsxbill

What makes the difference on the setting for you?  I usually just leave it cracked about 1/8 open.  What application would you have it opened more besides cold smoking?

Thanks!

Bill

Bassman

I leave the vent open all the way for the first half hour and then close it just so the smoke does not come out from between the generator and the cabinet. I leave it there thru the whole smoke.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

nsxbill

Hi Jack,

Do you leave it closed after smoking completed too.  I usually smoke for about 4 hours then just the item I am cooking cook for remainder of time without smoke.

Bill

Fuzzybear

Bill:  The difference in how wide the opening on the vent from my point of view is to regulate the temp...sometimes (hot summer months) I need to keep it open as much as possible to keep the temp down...winter time, I'd be apt to close it more to keep the temp up...

In any event, since the idea is to "dry" heat the meat, I'd be wanting moisture escaping all the time

Glendora, CA - USA!