Soft wired our generator to the house...

Started by Oldman, June 17, 2007, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well we got the generator now "soft" wired to the house. At 12,000 watts it is the largest generator you can have unless you hard wire it to the house. The reason it is the largest allowed is the largest plug you can have is a dual 50 amp.

How we wired it is pretty kool We run a power line from it that plugs into a side box that directly feeds both legs of my home breaker panel.  It feeds the panel via a 50 amp dual pole breaker that is in my panel box.

The generator and plug:

The Side box and plug:

The house panel has on it an Interlock Kit. This kit will not allow you to power up your house breaker panel using the generator unless the main panel breaker is off.

In this image you can see that as long as the main is in the on position the 50 amp breaker (top right) cannot be turned on. Once you turn off the main the kit slides down and the bar that was blocking the 50 amp breaker moves down so the 50 amp can be turned on. This insures that when running your generator you don't back feed power into the grid, possibly killing a line man.

One of the nice things about this set up is you don't need a second breaker panel and you can pick and choose what you want to power up in your house!

Materials and labor came to $600.00.

EDIT: One of the nice thing about this generator is the engine is a Robins and not a Yamaha! Many truck mounted carpet cleaning machines are powered by Robins and they just keep on running. BTW While this generator will run on all three fuel, gasoline, natural gas and propane I have this unit set up to run on propane. Currently it is hooked up to a 250 gallon tank.  Next year I will upgrade the tank to 1000 gallons.

The only thing I have left to do is vent out its exhaust as it will stay inside the garage. (I can take it out side. I have a pad for it etc. The power line is long enough.) It is for scurity reason I want to keep it in the garage. I also have a venting system set up to keep the garage from heating up.

While most true stand by generators are in the 16,000 - 32,000 watt range this 12,000 is more than enough for this house. The hot water and stove/oven are propane, and the only real power user is the A/C unit. Even at that once it is up and running it only uses 18 amps. Plus if I have to leave due to storm surge I can take this unit with me.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

icerat4

As always your on top of things old man.Nice set up.. ;D I am a big time backup plan guy too.And have this in the works .Thanks for the info.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Oldman

Rat,

Thanks for the kind words... I have noticed that you are bring a lot to the Bradley table this year. It is good to have folks like you on this board. Many times I go to answer a question and either you or some other supporting members has already answer it.

I cannot tell just how much this takes off of us "oldtimers." Again  thank you... There is a chance I will be taking my Mother North to see her sister this summer. If possible, I would like to flip by and have a brew & steak with you and your Mrs... Of course this will be on me. No!  If it happens your money is no good...period~~!

Again, to all folks here who have helped our new members... much thanks from us old smokers!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Sweet set up Old's. I have something similar but still need to clean it up a bit wiring wise. We lose power once or twice a month whether we want to or not around here. :D ;D

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...