Ham

Started by mybad, January 20, 2009, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

Ham and all it's glory! LOL I would like to thank all of you who spend there time here, helping, teaching, and coaching. It's a great thing.

I jumped in and cured a ham. I used Hab's recipe from Old's site, and it has turned out far better than I imagined when I drooled at the pictures you guys have posted.

So I used the maple cure from the Sausage Maker site, and used maple pucks to smoke it.

Just a couple of pics for record...LOL ;)...and yah I know the date is f-ed up on my camera!

It's in the oven now heating up, and finishing the glaze. I will post one more pic of the thing when it comes out of the oven.

Mr Walleye

Looks awesome MyBad!  ;)

:P  :P  :P  :P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 20, 2009, 06:16:18 PM
Looks awesome MyBad!  ;)

:P  :P  :P  :P

Mike

Yes it does!!!! Well Done.

Mybad did we close the vent down to almost nothing at some point during the smoke? I see the condensation drips on the ham.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mybad

Yep close to the end of the whole process. After 22hrs I was ready for it to be done...lol ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mybad on January 20, 2009, 06:53:06 PM
Yep close to the end of the whole process. After 22hrs I was ready for it to be done...lol ;D

I know what you mean my ham took 30hours. And there is quite a few of us that have done the same thing and got the same results. Hence I knew what had happened and had seen the same results before. So now I hardly ever close the vent.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Nice looking ham. I often will cut off the ham hock prior to finishing in the oven, to make the ham fit better in my roasting pan.

Don't worry about a few black spots, they won't effect the taste of the ham, and after roasting they are only noticeable if you know they are there. Some times it will occur on a very cold day with the vent wide open. Condensation will form on the outside of the smoker around the vent and then drip back down into the smoker. A paper towel can be used to mop up the condensation that collects around the top, but durning a long smoke/cook time it's almost impossible to monitor.

I'm interested in knowing how you like the glaze. I often make extra to serve with the ham.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

That Ham looks great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sodak

That looks great.  Good job.

HCT

What a ham. :D Looks terrific.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

mybad

The glaze was a hit for sure. I put a little in a couple of plastic baggies with a few big slices of ham, and what a flavor...and again thanks!