Topic changed.. first smoke Hungry......?

Started by mrdennisg, September 30, 2004, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

White,

I think a top vent would be prefrable.  I just notice that he said something about a side vent and that S/S plate looked good for a clean instal.  With a top vent I would think you would get less moisture build up in the top of smoker and less likely to have black droppings on you product.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

mrdennisg

Thanks for all the info[:)]
 as far as having flue on side, I guess the top will be better. so on the top center or right,left?  Does it matter? Size? 1" 2"? I do need to be able to extend it
when needed 3 ft. up. look at the above image and you see the image I am using as a guide. All my elect. will be in the same place as that one. I may have messed up already. Yesterday I installed the heating element from the oven I salvaged ( top broiler unit) it is now neatly mounted on the bottom. I believe it used 220 and not 110!!!
 It heats up nicely .but will it get hot enough? will it use too much electricity? [:I][B)]

BigRed

Frist I am not a electrican but I have been told there is a way of split 220 to 110 which would save your burner. You might want to talk to someone about it.

BigRED

mrdennisg

Well ........[:D]

I installed a heating element just like the BS ,just larger and hotter. Built a control panel, mounted it on the left side at top.
Panel contains thermostat controler, heat and smoke selector, (heat, heat and smoke, or just smoke), led lights to inform me if power is on and what I selected, master power switch and fuse panel. I even put a tip over switch ; if unit is not level or falls over shuts off all power.
Still havent installed a chimney as yet still working on design. Panel even has room for my DSI gas control circut board so when I add gas to it.(got it from my broken gas hot water tank)[B)]

Pictures will be up in a few days[:I]

mrdennisg

I may be slow but when I am done it will be worth it.

Sorry no pictures yet no camera.
I designed a smoke stack from a 2" piece of threaded conduit 6 " tall, threaded it into a plate used to atach conduit to an electrical panel, picked it up from home depot.

Drilled a hole through both sides , used a throttle plate (buterfly valve) from a Volvo carburator[:)] Now I can control how much smoke/heat exits smoker.
<font color="red">Should stack be mounted in the top,back,center or off to the side???</font id="red">

Had to redesign the heating element. I used the complete electric heater (removed all plastic)took the metal casing to my local machine shop and they put it in there acid bath to remove all the paint. It looks like new metal.
<font color="red">Can it be painted with high heat paint and safely be used ???</font id="red">
 fit's perfect. Apliance wire cost me
1.80 a ft., still using controls from stove....

It will be easy to clean planning on a drip pan that covers the entire bottom.

Basic design is like the Cookshack above.

<font color="red">As far as the door goes ,,any sugestions on how to seal it?/ and how to latch it ?</font id="red">

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrdennisg</i>
<br />used a throttle plate (buterfly valve) from a Volvo carburator<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well, from the pictures you've shown us, it certainly has Volvo styling so that would be appropriate.[:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Most excelent, lots of room.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Fuzzybear

The ingenuity and imagination of people on this site is absolutely astonishing, amazing and outstanding!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

mrdennisg

The heating element and door seal are being installed today
I am using a self stick fibrglass style seal for the door the stuff u seal a glass pane on a woodstove. Hope it works. The chimney is an ongoing project tried a few styles. I could go with a 2" stack with a damper couldn't I????

Still have to install insulation and outside covering.

Will try it out for the first time this weekend, checking for any leaks and put initial smoke on walls for cure.

The one in the image ("which Olds posted for me Thank u very much")
is just a loaner from our generator. This one below is what I am trying

It is a 2" conduit and I used a throttle plate from a carburator Hope it works as well.

I am rely hungry right now. Back to work............[:)]

mrdennisg

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />The ingenuity and imagination of people on this site is absolutely astonishing, amazing and outstanding!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm sorry were we supposed to have limitations here  ;)
[:D]
 My wife said: "Since we are Nascar fans, u better use a Chevy carburator throttle plate and when it is done we have to paint flames on the side .

"I love that Lady"

MallardWacker

Man looks great.  This is my .017 cents worth here.  One of the greatest things about the BS is the V-shaped pan in the bottom.  This defuses the smoke AND is a GREAT catch tray for drippings.  Not only does it protect the heat sorce from getting dripped on it funnels the grease and stuff into a bowl.  To me this is another reason that sets the BS apart from the others.  If there is a way to do the same with your rig, I thing it would really improve the over all performance.

Please don't tell me you are <i><b><font color="blue">JEFF GORDON FAN</font id="blue"></b></i>[xx(].  All kidding a side I wish MARTIN would when the cup.  Being from Arkasas and such, he is still my favorite.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

mrdennisg

could u post an image or a drawing of the tray so I can make sure I get it right .  Sounds like a good plan.

nsxbill

You can see the v-shaped tray at the bottom of the smoker.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/index.htm

They don't have the water pan in the picture because it wouldn't look as pretty, but it is v-shaped and has a hole in the center to drip into water pan...the same pan that sits under the smoke generator that the bisquettes drop into.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Smalls

The V shaped tray has slots in it to diffuse the heat and smoke.  The slots are cut in a way that prevents any liquid dripping from the meat from entering the slots and dripping onto the heating element.  The liquid is all channelled into the bowl through the single hole in the center of the V.     /
                         /