PRIME RIB......any good suggestions

Started by walpick, June 25, 2007, 11:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walpick

I have a DBS and BS and want to do a Prime Rib. My BS will not push pucks anymore so I bought the DBS.  I am in florida and wondered if the humidity got to something in the box.  I have been smoking for a few years and have alot of trials and ERRORS  (heavy on the errors)  If any of you have any suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.  Also I would like to learn more about the different pucks you guys talk about.  And also who sells the rubs you guys are using.

Thanks for the help.  This will be one of my new forums that I will love.

WalPick

Consiglieri

I've done prime rib in the Bradley with good results.  My only criticism is that you really can't get the crust in the smoker.  Here is the link for that project thread  (and comments from others eager to help):

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4454.msg38899#msg38899
Consiglieri

walpick

Thank you so much for the info.  I am really having a blast with this.  I marinated my Prime with a recipe out of Smoke and Spice:

1 1/3 cups of red wine
1 1/3 cups red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
4 teaspoons  dried rosemary
4 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons dried thyme

it wil marinating all night and go in the smoker around 2:00pm

I will run it at full temp on my DBS and put 4 hours hickory on it.

Am i on the right page???

Consiglieri

Sounds delicious to me.  When/where's dinner?

At the end of my project, I was thinking that I should have pulled the meat from the smoker earlier and grilled or oven roasted at higher heat to finish and get that good crust. 
Consiglieri

chuck steak

absolutily not!!! where is tha wine for tha cook?? jeeze louise haven't you seen the TV cooks, gotta have some for tha cook now. LOL as beef goes tha wine will aid in the tenderness and flavor as to flavor yur on yur own, thyme and rosemary always a good basic choice thro. good luck, keep us posted as to falvor.

walpick

I will post as soon as we are done scarfing.  Good or Bad I will come clean.  It is a 5.3 pound rib what kind of times do I need to expect????????

Oldman

Sorry but my money is on Oak when it comes to beef. IMO hickory is great for a lot of things... its just not good on beef.

I would not take the box temp above 200F. Once the meat hit 130 - 135F take it out and FTC until it is 135 - 140F.  If that is to rare for some one then just drop their piece into a pot of boil au jus for 20 seconds. They will never know and they rave over how great tasting your prime is over others they have had in the past.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ohioan

What about when your' done smokn'. grill it off a few minutes to get that crust goin' on and then let it finish back in the DBS?
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

walpick

Okay guys..........I got nervous    Cold smoke for 3 hours and then on the set it and forget  Ronson roto.  The marinade will be the key I think  I have two hours and will report back
Thanks for all of your help

Consiglieri

I'm sure your meal will turn out well as modified, but I confess: I was looking forward to a great BS success story.  I was intimidated by this expensive cut too, and was rethinking the smoke trick as opposed to the high heat oven.  Mr. Owrstrich made the following observation though:

you cannot... cannot.... cannot.... mess it up.

He's right.  This cut is awfully forgiving and my concern was that I might toughen a normally tender piece of meat.  Didn't happen.  My only reservation is that after I crusted up the meat on the grill, I FTCed the meat rather than loosely tenting with foil.   Meat was very tender, but the crust gave way to the moisture of the FTC.

Let us know how the meal turned out.  Your Bradley won't let you down on flavor or tenderness.  Issue is crust.  Give it a try next time ;)
Consiglieri

walpick

The Rib was awesome.  I wish I would have done the whole thing in DBS.  Not near the smoke flavor I was wanting.  The marinade kicks A$$.  I am defintentaly trying it again full on in the DBS.  I now have a Briskit I am going to do in the morning,  Probaly 6#.  Any estimated time you pros have for me would be awesome.

Thanks guys I love this forum

CLAREGO

brisket been awhile. 6lb 210 prob 10-14 hours to 195

CLAREGO

boil au jus ??? olds got me here  ??? would you boil it in beef stock ?

walpick

I am on it!!!!!!!!!!!!  first thing in the morning.  Should I marinate or Rub?????

Oldman

Quote from: TheCLAREGO on June 27, 2007, 07:39:29 AM
boil au jus ??? olds got me here  ??? would you boil it in beef stock ?
I make my own au jus. When someone wants a medium to medium well piece of prime I drop the piece into the boiling au jus for a few seconds... changes the outside color of the meat.  No that does not make it tough.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!