Canada Day&4th Smokes? / Pork Loin ideas?

Started by goalieboy29, June 28, 2007, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

It seems that the finished product could not have been all that bad ;D

You should get yourself an instant read thermometer. You can get a decent one for $10-$20. They may be slow in recording the temperature (8-25 seconds), but they are a good backup to check the internal temperatures. The dial types are generally faster, and can be calibrated. The digital one are generally easier to read.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

goalieboy29

I've seen those around and just assumed they weren't very useful but I can see now how they would be. I saw a really small dial type. It would have been easier to put in the meat than that huge probe. 

Plus, its always good to have a second check. That's why we have a senate, right?
It's the wood that makes it good.

Habanero Smoker

Instant reads are handy and I use mine often, but I want to make sure there is no confusion on their use. You can't leave them in the meat during cooking, they can only be used to take a reading, then it has to be removed until you take the next reading. You should get one with a long stem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

GoalieBoy29

By any chance is the Habanero/Tequilla BBQ sauce you used the new one at SuperStore?

For anybody else here is a link. I have tried it on ribs and steak now and it's pretty good.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodAndRecipes/GreatFood/ProductDetails.aspx/id/18652/name/PCSmokinHabaneroBarbecueSauce/catid/178/type/2/language/english

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

goalieboy29

That's the one Mr. Walleye!

Speaking of which, is that a monster pickie in your Avatar? Nice fish!!

Mr Walleye

Thanks... 13.1 lbs. We get a number over 10 lbs each year but that's my biggest.

Mike

goalieboy29

Wow, 13! Don't think we get 'em that big in Ontario anymore. Maybe at a fly-in lake but that's about it. In fact, we had to go to "slot size" restrictions to prevent the idiots from keeping anything they catch....

I thought I had the "monster" record when I yanked in a 9 pounder 2 years ago. My bro and I thought it was a small muskie at first! That little minnow would be your fish's baby...

Cheers.

Carter

Bay of Quinte gets 10+ pounders when the Gizzard Shad are running, but there's a trade off.  How do you define cold and damp?  Being in a boat on Lake Ontario in Late November/Early December.

Carter

Mr Walleye

Carter

I actually caught that one on Nov 12 out of the boat. We usually fish out of the boat right till freeze up. Sometimes with the wind chill it's well below 0. Here in Saskatchewan the wind is always a factor.

Mike