• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brand Newbie! Pork Shoulder Checklist Help:

Started by Defender, June 29, 2007, 06:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defender

I love this place.  I bought one of the last OBS from Kirk at Chez Bubba, seasoned it, and tried a turkey first time out....turned out kind of dry, but I now have a couple of Mavericks....one for inside the meat and one for inside the cabinet. 

Here's my first attempt to get serious--fresh pork shoulder; plan is to rub it tonight or in the morning, then put it in around 1 - 2 am Saturday AM (after I get back from the Richmond IRL race), with plenty of FTC time built in for Sunday evening feasting...please let me know how this checklist looks:

1.  Cryovac'd shoulder from BJ's....exactly 8 pounds. 
2.  Clean it off, slather on the French's, then give it a good rub (I'm using Rudy's Rub)...wrap it up in some glad wrap and put it into the fridge for at least 12 hours. 
3.  Pre-heat the smoker to something north of 225F.
4.  Pat down the hog, re-rub and let it come to room tempurature.
5.  Prepare an upper rack with a half a pound of bacon. 
6.  I'm going to use primarily hickory....but am open to suggestions for an every third puck option.  Some people say 4 hours of smoke...some people say 8....some people say let it smoke the whole time.  What's best? 
7.  I'll have my water bowl half way filled (bought an extra stainless steel bowl at Petsmart for quick swapping)...and I've read periodic squirting of apple juice works wonders. 
8.  Keep the cooking temperature at least 210 but don't exceed 220. 
9.  Cook until internal reaches 190F.  Anticipate about 8 - 9 hours?
10.  FTC until supper time. 

Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks in advance to the experts. 

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome Defender, i think you look pretty organised ;)

When i do shoulder/butt for pulled pork, i don't bother spraying, imo on such a large piece of meat, the juice would evaporate before it had a chance to have any effect on the meat, and by opening the door to spray will increase the cook time. I just let the fat from the meat do it's thing in keeping everything moist.

I smoke for the first 4 hours at a cabinet temp of approx 210f, change the water bowl at 4 hours, use hot water as this will help keep the cabinet temp up.

I cook mine until an internal meat temp of 195f, then FTC for at least 2 hours.

As for cook time, it really depends on the size of the shoulder?, it's very common to have a shoulder/butt in the BS for over 14 hours.

Anyway good luck with everything, let us know how it turns out, patience is the key imo  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Defender;
Welcome to the forum.

It appears you are talking about a shoulder/butt and not the picnic shoulder. Other then what LilSmoker stated, you should start with the water bowl 3/4 full so that all the water doesn't evaporate from the bowl before you have a chance to empty the bowl and change water at around the 4 hour mark.

Good smoking!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

if you smoke it for 4-5 hours hours then wrap aluminum foil in the foil you can keep the appple juice in it. i personally add apple schnapps or apple cider vinager. i also take saram wrap premium, wrap the butt tight in that and wrap aluminum -heavy duty around. this cuts the cooking time dramatically. 190-195 ftc for at least 2 hours and thats it i did two butts once 5 hours of smoker time then in the oven at 275-300 and it takes 8 -10 hours.

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum.  Follow the good advice already given.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

I think your plan is sound.  Hard part is time management.  I started two butts last night at 5 pm and have been cooking at 210-220.  The one on the lowest rack, closest to the heat source hit 195 at 5 am (thanks Maverick for the alarm function) and the other is still cooking as of 10am.

Good luck with your project.
Consiglieri

Stickbowcrafter

Alright! Keep us posted...WITH PICTURES PLEASE!!!

-Brian

Defender

Ooops.  Forgot about the pictures.  Next time I'll keep the camera close.  But the eating was/is great.  It took longer than I though it would, but was well worth it.  I need to hire someone to clean up after me, however.   ;D

I looked as if I burned it badly, but after a 2.5 hour FTC the thing almost fell apart into a beatiful, tasty pile. 

I'll be attempting to perfect that particular cut...and plan on trying various recipes for other stuff just about every weekend.

Thanks again for the tips!

Infalable

Hey Defender,

The Rudy's you mentioned - was that from Rudy's chain in Texas. If so, good stuff. I usually rub it on beef. How was it on pork?

owrstrich

welcome defender...

thats 4 trackforum folks now with bradleys...

chezzbubba
defender
micki
truth detector

micki is gonna have to cut and past some more photos...

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60714

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Defender

Quote from: Infalable on July 02, 2007, 09:38:27 PM
Hey Defender,

The Rudy's you mentioned - was that from Rudy's chain in Texas. If so, good stuff. I usually rub it on beef. How was it on pork?
Yes....Rudy's in Texas.  It was fantastic!  I liked using it before I got the Bradley.  I also want to try the Dizzy Pig stuff, and eventually I'll get around to experimenting with my own.  For now I'm trusting the sure things. 

Quote from: owrstrich on July 03, 2007, 12:21:51 PM
welcome defender...

thats 4 trackforum folks now with bradleys...

chezzbubba
defender
micki
truth detector

micki is gonna have to cut and past some more photos...

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60714

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
Make it 5.  Bever got one too.   ;D  TF folks are going to stay well fed.   ;)

Infalable

I will be trying more from the local Texas restaurants. From Dizzy - I like Swamp Venom the best.