Tin Foil

Started by NNSmoker, July 04, 2007, 09:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NNSmoker

Hello,
Just got my new DBS and the instructions say not to use any tin foil in the unit. I can't imagine how a rack with some on it below your chicken for example, would hurt. It would sure aid in clean-up. Your thoughts?

Carter

Hi NNSmoker,

I've had my smoker a couple of months now.  There's lots of posts on foil and one that's gone through pretty recently with pros and cons.  Some have used it, some haven't.  There does sound like there can be some fire risk.

From personal experience, the drip tray cleans up pretty easily.  Soak it in some hot soap and water for a half an hour and stuff comes off pretty easy.

I did Ribs this weekend and ended up with all sorts of Fat and Brown Sugar (you name it) just caked/burnt on.  Cleaned up no problem after a soak.

Apparently PAM for Grills is good too.  I went looking for it this weekend and could not find it.

Carter

KyNola

Hi NNSmoker,
Welcome to the forum.  I'm brand new too but these guys are a wealth of information.  My DBS hasn't arrived yet but I posted the same question. The main response I received was the main concern is blocking the smoke and heat flow by covering the racks with foil. Wrapping food with foil didn't appear to be an issue as long as you didn't completely cover a rack, preventing the smoke and heat from getting through the smoker.  The guys who have been around the forum a long time will answer your question much better than I so stay tuned.

Let me know how you like your DBS, wish mine was here.  Ordered it from Bradley on 6/28.  I want it yesterday!

KyNola

manxman

Quite a few people do use foil in their BS's in some way or other, however I am sure there has been at least one documented instance mentioned here on the forum going back a couple of years where use of tin foil channelled fat onto the heater element and caused a fire. I think putting the V tray in upside down caused a similar situation as well.

I would imagine this is why Bradley say not to use tin foil at all, maybe they are being over cautious but thats the way companies play it nowadays.

It could also limit smoke penetration / flow in some instances. As long as you are aware of possible pitfalls you can make a choice. I do use tin foil in mine on occasions.  ;)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

In addition, you need to be careful not to restrict the flow of heat; which will cause heat to build up. Lining a whole tray with aluminum foil would not be wise, but placing an aluminum pan that will allow the flow of heat, or forming foil around the product would be alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)