Maverick thermometer's

Started by Thunder Fish, October 03, 2004, 05:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Fish

Thanks for all the info,went to Radio Crap(Shack) and bought 2 of there's.Whitetail,I took the 3 year warranty on 1 of them for $4.00 and will gamble.1 for meat sensor and 1 for box sensor [:)]
 I know this will work better than some old 2" clamps hooped too gether backwards.
Whitetail.....ever find that Diamond Willow I had mentioned?

Thunder Fish

By the way Deman hold the C/F for more than 2 sec and it will go to Imperial messurments [8D] [8D] [8D] I think it will be slick!!!!

whitetailfan

Thunder,
What's the regular warranty like (not the 3 yr extra cost), hopefully I can take mine back and get another unit.  I just have not found the time.  When it was working it was working great, definitely changes the way you smoke, or at least your consistency because you can get accurate internal temps without opening the door[}:)]which causes more cook time.  Before I just had a dial probe, digital is way better!

The two inch clamp thing had nothing to do with thermometers, it was someones solution to blank advancing pucks (bubba puck substitute).

No, I have not heard of diamond willow.  In one of the topics, someone talked about do it yourself pucks and the general concensus was that it would be way too difficult or cost ineffective to bother.  But if you find a solution, it would be fun to try some other flavours, I have not even been through the full spectrum of what Bradley offers now.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

DEMAN

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunder Fish</i>
<br />By the way Deman hold the C/F for more than 2 sec and it will go to Imperial messurments [8D] [8D] [8D] I think it will be slick!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
WHEW [:D]
Gonna grab one today...I have a 9lb butt rubbed and in the fridge right now

Set the tongs on the floor....and back away slowly...no one has to get hurt

Thunder Fish

Whitetailfan,1 year on the thermometer/2" puck thing,me /Diamond Willow,me again [:D].If you do get up north(Redwater or further) look for it in damp locations.Easy to ID as it has Diamond shapes on the bark enjoy

whitetailfan

Hey Thunder,
Ya sorry I forgot it was you that came up with the clamp idea, I just wasn't thinking at the time.  Regarding the diamond willow thing, I know that you were the one who mentioned it, what I was trying to point out was that no one seems to be able to build pucks well or at least cost efficiently as per this thread, sorry I couldn't find it before.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=229

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Dang-Not available in the US. Looks like a good unit.  Do like the OSHA[:D] approved probe cover.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Dang-Not available in the US. <font color="red">Looks like a good unit.</font id="red">  <font color="blue">Do like the OSHA[:D] approved probe cover.</font id="blue">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font color="red">Ya it was great until it told me my ambient temperature was 130deg.  I'm gonna take it back and try again, people here have not all had 100% rosy smokers either.</font id="red">

<font color="blue">Occupational Safety and Health Association?????  Ya, I was so scared of the probe without its cover, I put 10 thimbles on my fingers in case I poked myself, but then I lost two in the cavity of a chicken, so now I try just to be careful</font id="blue">

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

DEMAN

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font color="blue">Occupational Safety and Health Association?????  Ya, I was so scared of the probe without its cover, I put 10 thimbles on my fingers in case I poked myself, but then I lost two in the cavity of a chicken, so now I try just to be careful</font id="blue"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font color="limegreen"><font size="5"><b>ROFL</b></font id="size5"></font id="limegreen">
Mine worked perfectly...will post more info as soon as I devour my pork butt

<b><font color="red">DEMAN</font id="red"></b><hr noshade size="1">
~Set the tongs on the floor....and back away slowly...no one has to get hurt~

DEMAN

Here we go...First a pic of the butt before cooking (about an hour out of the fridge)

Nice touch...has a magnet on the back...I can see the ambiant temp of the BS and the internal meat temp through the kitchen window(I also tested the door thermometer with the probe inside at same level while pre-warming the BS and found both were exactly the same temp during process so I can now trust the door thermometer)I am obviously not a good enough photographer to keep my shadow out of pic [:o)]

Now the finished product. I smoked the butt with 3/1 apple to hickory pucks for 4 hours at 225 deg. starting at 5:30 PM. The ambient temp rose to 275 over the next 2 hours while I was out and the internal had reached 150 deg so I cut the temp back to 210 and set the alarm for 185 deg. and went to bed. The alarm woke me up shortly after 6:00 AM at which time I wrapped and coolered the butt and went to work. I returned at about 3:00 PM and checked the internal temp which was 126 deg. I removed the butt from the cooler, turned the BS on to 150 deg and put the tin foiled wrapped butt back in until dinner.

Removed at 6:00 PM..130 deg.. pulled and feasted with the neighbours. Was incredible. I still am going to get a Maverick as I really like the remote idea and the ability to monitor and alarm both temps but this one did the job...don't know how anyone can smoke without one.

nsxbill

Nice pics of the next-best tight butt!  [8D]

Your reference to the correct temp is not consistent with most folks complaining about the variation of the real temp and the temp on thermometer in the door.   I have a "late model" SS edition too, and my Guru and Maverick show the door temp is right on.  Maybe the quality of the temp probe has gone up.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Thunder Fish

I also found the door gauge to be bang on to the digital +/- a few degree's but close enough to say "maybe the digital is out" [^]

Thunder Fish

Deman how did you get that magnet to stick to the stainless door.Stainless steel is non ferrous ? [?]

DEMAN

Touched it to door....it stayed there..(magic maybe?[:D])

Thunder Fish

After my 3rd use I got a new one under warranty.Was hopeing for a little better preformance.Was looking at Lee Valley(yes woodworking) x-mas book and they also one have avalible[?]