Novice Introduction

Started by mikemaupin, July 14, 2007, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Would the mod help with metal siding?  Mine wouldn't get through 15 feet (3 walls I guess), but worked fine from my oven to my downstairs bedroom about 40 feet from the stove.

iceman

I couldn't say for sure but I would guess it would help just from the fact that it more than tripled my range.
Quote from: Tiny Tim on July 17, 2007, 06:47:00 AM
Would the mod help with metal siding?  Mine wouldn't get through 15 feet (3 walls I guess), but worked fine from my oven to my downstairs bedroom about 40 feet from the stove.

Gizmo

Tiny,
From a technical standpoint, RF (radio frequencies) do not travel well (or at all) through metal.  Metal is used to sheild things from RF, so your metal siding is acting more like a shield.  Depending on the effectiveness of the siding, you may not be able to penetrate it with even more power than the Maverick is capable of providing.  Now from a usability standpoint, chances are your siding is not a perfect shield so you have a chance.  There are openings for doors, windows and each piece of siding is not connected together with a perfect electrical connection (most probably the bottom edge of one piece snap hooks into the top lip of the coarse underneath it. 

To build on what Iceman stated, by adding more range, you may just get around one of those non-shielded openings and reach the receiver.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Thanks guys...may have to crack it open and give it a shot.

Now where did that soldering iron go...ah heck, I know where the torch is. ;D

mikemaupin

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 15, 2007, 03:21:48 AM
Mike;
Welcome to the forum. I also started on bullet (water) smokers.

To make things a little easier you may want to invest in a temperature probe so that you can monitor the meat temperature. Many of us have the Maverick ET-73 which is a remote thermometer that can monitor both the cabinet and meat temperatures. The remote make it easier to monitor the smoker temperatures, without having to keep going to the smoker to check on things. The Maverick ET-7 can also be utilized in this manner.

I got mine from this source:
http://www.thegadgetsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=tgs&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=011502013733

You may want to look around the Internet to see if you can find it for less. There are also other types digital probes you can purchase.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it and if you have any questions this is the place to come and get them answered.

Also you may want to check out the recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

HAB i went ahead and went with these folks, Home depot had to order it to so this was the much better deal and they said I would have it by friday, they are close to me. Thanks

mikemaupin

Fellows where is the post about extending the range of the themometer? It shouldn't pose much of a problem. I would think the xmiter and the reciever both would have an ant, Dose anyone know the frequency of the unit. The xmiter ant may be utilizing the thermocouple leads for an ant, might have to leave those alone but if the fequency is known then you could cut the rec ant to a full wavelength or even double it. Since it uses aa batts be sure to use alklines because NiMh and NiCads are only 1.25 volts per cell and alkys are 1.5V per cell could make a diff since we are splitting hairs.
Just a thought.

Tiny Tim

Here ya go, Mike.  Looked it up because I'm needing to do it too.  Good luck on yours.

mikemaupin

Tim, I didn't get the link Bud, Mike

iceman

Click on the "Here you go" light blue print.
Quote from: mikemaupin on July 18, 2007, 12:51:51 PM

Habanero Smoker

If it is not mentioned in the thread that TT posted, the frequency is broadcasted at 433MHZ.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

Quote from: mikemaupin on July 18, 2007, 12:51:51 PM

If you'd rather type it, here it is (also clickable if you desire).

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4712.0

Yeah, a little bit of this post is meant as adding another to my total, since Iceman already told ya about my secret, embedded link in the post. ;D ;)

mikemaupin

Thanks, I didnt know about the embeded link.