Smokin' on Sunday!

Started by KyNola, August 05, 2007, 07:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Smoked fatties made of ground chuck, ground country ham, cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.  Seasoned up with worchestershire sauce and Emeril's Essence.  Also, smoked some cheddar cheese, 2 chubs of bologna, a large chunk of ham and vidalia onions.  2 hours of smoke of hickory and apple except for the cheese.  Took it out after one hour.  All turned out incredible.  Finally getting the hang of the DBS.  Pretty neat Sunday afternoon!  :D             

KyNola

wicz

Very nice KyNola.  I also had a great sunday too.  Byside my issue with the cord from the generator to the smoker came unplugged.  I am going to start my own thread with pics.  Glad you are getting the hang of the bradley.

Gizmo

Sounds like a smorgasboard there KyNola.  Quite a variety.
Wicz, glad to see you were able to find the cord issue and get things going.  Those pesky little cords can sneak up on you often.

For myself, I did about 14 pounds of pulled pork (1 cryovac).  There were two pieces.  9 pounds for one and 5 pounds for the other.  I wanted to compare 2 different techniques - Start to finish in Bradley and after smoke, finish in the oven.  Taste wise and bark, I can't tell the difference between them but I did prove one thing, for the Digital BS, even though you remember to reset the oven timer before going to bed, don't forget to reset it in the morning when you get up as well.   :-[ :-[ :-[  Another point I forgot is to set a low temp alarm on Maverik.  Usually when I just do 4 hours of smokin and then finish in the convection oven, I don't have to remember all the little things.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Just cant beat them fatties........... some of my fav to smoke.

nepas  ;D

KyNola

Gizmo,
How long did you go in the conventional oven and at what temp?  How many hours of smoke in the DBS prior to moving to the oven.  Did you wrap the butt in foil when going to the conventional oven or leave uncovered?  ???

KyNola

Gizmo

Smoked for 4 hours using alder.  After the smoke, I moved the smaller butt into the foil pan, added the applejuice and covered with foil.  Then place into the convection oven.  I also put the oven probe in so the oven would auto hold once the internal temp reached 185 deg.  Both the DBS and the oven butts tracked to the same IT temp during the process (at least within a degree or so) which was very surprising to me but probably due to the size difference.  Total time was around 20 hours and then I moved the DBS butt into a foil pan with AJ and into the oven for a 1.5 hour hold at 150 (until we were ready to eat).  Both butts were similar in moisture and the only real difference was the areas in each where there was more fat concentration as they were the best parts.   ;D

Here is a picture of the butt that was in the DBS for the entire time (except for the FTC).

Here is a picture of the butt that was boated after the 4 hour smoke.
Yes, butcher tying is not my specialty.

Here is a picture of butt when I went to shred it.  It looks sliced but it actually fell apart that way.  I liked the picture because it shows how much moisture there is inside.

Here is the DBS butt shredded.

Now to make some carnitas burritos, tacos, and tortas, eh NePa?

KyNola

Thanks Gizmo, they both look great! :o

Wildcat

Looking Good Giz.  I am having surgery on my right foot next Thursday so Golf will be put on hold for about six weeks.  This will give me plenty of time to do some SMOKING!  ;D I will finally have time to do some of the things on my "to do" list.  Will probably do the regular brisket and butt thing as well for freezing to take on future RV and camping trips.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Great looking pork Giz. Nice and moist and a good bark on it. Good job! :)

hillbillysmoker

Now that is one great looking butt.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Gizmo on August 07, 2007, 10:34:27 PM

Now to make some carnitas burritos, tacos, and tortas, eh NePa?

You got that right Giz..................and it looks gooooood too.

los burritos de carnitas, los tacos, y tortas

nepas

Kell

Hi Gizmo,
Your photos look great.  I have 2 pork shoulder in tonight and I'm hoping they'll turn out just as good.
I see one of your photos you are using the bear claws.  How do you like them?

Gizmo

Not a must have but sure makes it convenient.  The BEST usage is actually picking the butts up and transporting to the "SHREDDING board".  With the butt wanting to fall apart, the wide multi tooth helps get a good grip and by holding low, you basically cradle the meat to help keep it together long enough for the trip.

Habanero Smoker

Kell;
Welcome to the forum.

I have a pair, and I like the way it shreds the pork. For me they are much faster then using forks and/or your hands. You can also shred the pork at a higher temperature without getting first degree burns on your hands. :) The warmer the meat is, the easier it is to shred.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)