1st Turkey turned out great!

Started by Blues Man, July 18, 2007, 08:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blues Man

I pre-heated my 4 rack BDS to 280F. Rinsed the 12 LB. bird and dried with paper towels. I placed Granny Smith apple pieces and fresh Rosemary in the cavity. Salted the outside as well as Emeril's Essence. Reduced heat setting to 220F. I placed it on the second rack from the bottom. Opened the vent to 1/2, used Hickory smoke for 2 hours and 40 minutes, then an additional 4 hours 20 minutes of heat, for a total of 7 hours. When I took the Turkey out, it was perfect. The skin was even crispy! Thigh temp read 165F and the breast read 160F.

I have read on the forum where the time per pound has been quoted as 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The temp must be very low for those times.

I have had my BDS for 1 week. So far Side Ribs, then Baby Backs, now a turkey. All turned out great!

Next, a butt and brisket together. Any reccomendations?

Consiglieri

Outstanding by the description.  Looking forward to some pictures to accompany the words (and the growl in my stomach!).  Good luck with the future endeavors. 
Consiglieri

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome Blues Man, glad to hear you're already getting to grips with your BS, everybody loves turkey the Bradley way  ;)

So, all we need now are pics...............

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Consiglieri

FWIW, pix are the bomb, but we recognize there's a learning curve and look forward to the images when you get up to speed. 

LS: I've been thinking about doing some pastrami and looking up old posts.  Between you and Habs I may need some input.  Hope it won't be out of line to PM for some clarification.  Hope all is well on the mechanical front.
Consiglieri

LilSmoker

Consiglieri : I would be only too willing to help if needed  ;) 

Blues Man: Take no notice of me, i just like messing with Smiley/Emoticons

Habanero Smoker

Consiglieri;
No problem; but you will quickly see how easy it is to make pastrami.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Macman

Not meaning to hijack, but has anyone made Montreal Smoked meat in the Bradley???  I absolutely love MSM sandwiches but it is soooo expensive here.

Cheers,

Andy

Mr Walleye

MacMan

I haven't done it yet but here is Habs recipe from the Old's recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=436#post436

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Macman

;D  I missed that one, I have been looking there for recipes but didn't see it.  Hunger pains are hitting now, it is 11:30 AM here...lol

There is soo much to try... and soo little time...

Cheers,

A

smokin stu

I've been wanting to make MSM as well.  Let us know how it turns out. 

icerat4

a WHOLE TURKEY wow good stuff.Now get those pics for us .

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Habanero Smoker

I just made some on Sunday, out of a 7 pound brisket,. I found that Montreal Smoked meat is like Canadian bacon; there are so many variations of it. Some say never cure it, while others say it must be cured brisket. So far I have only made it with uncured brisket.

If you are using the recipe on the recipe site. The average brisket flat is 7 pounds, and I used to do half a flat when making this recipe. This time I did a full flat and had to doubled ingredients in the recipe. For the red wine, for my taste a Merlot works well. Though you may lose a little flavor, for this rub Turbinado sugar blends better than the brown sugar. You will get better results if you let it set overnight after applying the first layer of rub. When you apply the second layer of rub, it will adhere better if you make it into a paste with either oil or water; I use olive oil. I haven't found a way to get the bacon to adhere to the meat enough so that it won't come off while slicing it. Having said all of that, the flavor is real good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Macman

Thanks for the info!

I have it ordered so I will play when it comes, i asked for a 3-4 lb brisket to start with and they said it should be here hopefully next week.....   :)

Can't wait to try the recipe...

LilSmoker

On the subject of pastrami, everybody's always asking "whens the next batch?" well my eldest daughter knows the owner of one of the pubs in the village near to me, and she was telling them all about the pastrami. They have now asked my daughter if they can have a decent sample of pastrami?.

So i need to get some done, just imagine Habs pastrami on the menu in an old english pub! 

Just gotta decide with or without juniper berries?

Consiglieri

LS:  looking forward to the pictures from inside the pub.

My biggest obstacle out here so far is finding some darn curing salt.  Wouldn't have thought that would be scarce with all the hunters around here. 
Consiglieri