Need to find a steel drum

Started by SKSmoker, July 19, 2007, 09:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKSmoker

Hey guys, whats shakin! The wife and I are going to visit a friend down in Tampa FL, and we are going to build him a drum smoker. I have been searching around from up here, but he is having a hard time finding a 55g food grade steel drum down there. Anyone around that area have any idea's where to look for one of these? I found a few places from the Tampa phone book that should have them, but I don't know if he has called there. Anyone from the Tampa/bay area that could help out, much appreciated!!

Lead by example

LilSmoker

Hi SK, when we used to make bbq/grills from drums over here, we used to just get a 50 gallon oil drum, cut it accordingly, give it a good clean out with a hose or pressure washer, and that was it ready to go.

Maybe you need to find an olive oil supplier or similar?

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Oldman

SK I don't know of any food grade steel drums today. Maybe years back, but all the ones I know of are now food grade plastic.

LilSmoker is on spot with his suggestion.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SKSmoker

Hey, thanks guys. I posted over at the smokering and someone there was able to directly direct me to a place that has both steel and stainless steel food grade drums. They had chocolate in the them, which is great. I don't want to mess around with anything but a food barrel. What a marine salvage place is doing with drums that used to have chocolate in them, I have no idea, but for the price, it can't be beat! That, and a trip over the skyway bridge to Clearwater on my vacation will be a nice little trip :)
Lead by example

Oldman

Are you talking about Don's Salvage yard? If so I've been there a few times and did not see those types of drums. You might want to call before going... then again I may have just not seen them.

BTW If you are in Tampa and are going to Clearwater you will not be going over the Skyway bridge unless you want to take a 3 hour plus site seeing trip. Tampa to Clearwater is only 25 minutes.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

LilSmoker

Got some great memories of Clearwater beach, i couldn't believe how lovely and warm the water was, and remember lots of little fish swimming amongst us while we were in the sea.
Another plus factor was that we saw no sharks as the water was too warm.

Wish i was there now, England is very miserable right now, lots of rain and flooding, looks like we bypassed summer this year?

Think it's time to start saving for another trip accross the pond
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

SKSmoker

Hey guys. Olds- yep, Don's marine is the one. He called and he has lots of steel and stainless in stock. An odd place, but it looks huge on the map. Bummer about the bridge, but we're making a trip to it on an unrelated outing :) Might go down south to some of the beaches.
Lead by example

Oldman

Don's is where I got my fresh water tank for drinking water should we have a storm. If schedules allow, perhaps I can meet with you and your family and take ya all out to lunch or something.

SKSmoker

Hey Olds sounds good if we can make it work! I'll throw you a pm. We leave on Tues at 6am <barf>
Lead by example

Oldman

I PMed you my phone number.
Olds