Newbie Salmon Question

Started by Ontrack, August 15, 2007, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

Not much salmon to choose from in southwest Virginia. I have a 3 lb. pack of farm raised Atlantic from Sam's Club, consisting of 8 center cut fillets. Is it necessary to brine and cure the fish before hot smoking? It will all be eaten within 48 hours of cooking. Also, any suggestions on smoking/cooking time? The fillets average 6 ounces each, about 6 inches long and an inch or so thick. Thanks for any help.

Habanero Smoker

I would brine it. Brining is not only for preserving meat, but most brines today are for flavor and moisture.

Here is an excellent thread to answer you questions on cooking times:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

Hab-Thanks for the info and the link. I will brine, but I noticed a lot of brown sugar in the recipe. I don't want even a hint of sweetness in the fish, so could I skip the brown sugar or at least cut it down quite a bit?

iceman

Quote from: Ontrack on August 15, 2007, 02:19:58 PM
Hab-Thanks for the info and the link. I will brine, but I noticed a lot of brown sugar in the recipe. I don't want even a hint of sweetness in the fish, so could I skip the brown sugar or at least cut it down quite a bit?
The sugar helps to counter act the salt a bit. IMO I would at least try a light rub or in liquid brine a 25% of the called for and maybe cut down on the time a tad. Just a thought from past smokes. Best of luck and happy smoking Ontrack. 

Ontrack

Thanks Iceman-when you said "cut down on the time a tad"- do you mean the brining time?

Gizmo

The brine recipe is awesome
Ice has a great suggestion.

For me, I like to start with the original for a baseline and then adjust from there.  I don't find the recipe to be overly sweet but then sweet does not bother me either. 
Good luck and looking forward to your follow-up results on what you did and how you liked it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Ontrack;

I agree with what the others have posted. Just want to add that I have found this brine to have a hint of sweetness. Overall it's a well balanced brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Ontrack on August 15, 2007, 03:22:25 PM
Thanks Iceman-when you said "cut down on the time a tad"- do you mean the brining time?
Yes. Run about 75% of the called for time to start with. That will give you a base line to go from. Important to write things down to keep track of what you liked and disliked so you can improve. ;)

Ontrack

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I went to the store and bought what I didn't have for the brine. Unless I hear differently, I think I'll cut way down on the brown sugar. As I mentioned earlier, my vacation starts Friday, so I'll keep you guys posted on my progress...however, I may be seeing double for a while!!