What is the best brisket rub(w/o mustard)

Started by gDub, August 16, 2007, 03:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gDub

Hi Smokers,
I am hopefully doing my first brisket on my new BS this weekend and I was wondering if sombody who has been on this forum longer than me could send me a link to the one of better Brisket rub receipes on this forum.  Also, I noticed alot of people smoke a (more)trimmed brisket, which is what I prefer.  I did a packer trim brisket a couple of years ago on my barrel smoker & found it to be too fatty (of course that smoker didn't keep an even temperature very well. So I will probably get a packer trim cut because a store around the corner from me has them for $1.69/lb. Don't know about the rest of the country, but that is a good price out here in Cali.(one place wanted $6.95/lb for trimmed)  I guess someone knows that we are all not millionaires out here. Oops, I almost forgot my other question: How much fat should I leave on the brisket when I trim it.

CHEERS to all the helpful people on this forum.

gDub
E-Shay...Better Then The Next!

Consiglieri

Not exactly sure what you're asking with respect to the mustard.  Are you looking for a rub that isn't used with a mustard slather? Or are you looking for a rub that doesn't use dry mustard like Coleman's?

There's a whole bunch of rubs posted on the connected recipe site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Bassman posted one for "Brisket Rub" from the Paul Kirk book that didn't have any mustard.  I've yet to try a Kirk recipe I don't like (maybe I'm not picky), but I haven't tried this one.

I cooked a brisket pastrami style recently with 1/8" fat on it and it tasted great, but turned out a bit dry.  I think that was more of a finished internal temp. issue rather than a fat issue.

Good luck with your project.

Consiglieri

gDub

Hi C,
I just dont like the tase of mustard. Dry is okay when cooking, but the thought of a Mustard Slather sends chill up my spine.  Sorry if I didn't make sense, I was typing fast at work, didn't want anybody to catch me slacking when I am always complaing about the lack of help. I see alot of rubs and sauces on here & wanted to get some opinions on what you guys like the best. Thanks for the info.  If all goes well I'll post some pics.

Consiglieri

No problem, and understand about the work thing (where I posted my first reply to yours). 

On the mustard slathers, all I can tell you is that when I started using them a few years back, I was very skeptical.  But the results taste great.  For me it's mushrooms.  Can't stand the I-know-how-they-grow-you fungi on their own.  But man, they sure add a lot to scallopine and spaghetti sauce.

Try the slather on a small cut when you're working on another project (maybe when you'll be haveing guests over) and I think you may be surprised.
Consiglieri

Gizmo

I was surprised that you can't taste the mustrad when used on a butt or brisket as a "bonding" agent.  It pretty much gets consumed in the bark and is no longer a factor in taste.

Consiglieri,
I have known a few people that don't like mushrooms.  One person thought they were slimy.  All I can say is I am sad for you.   :'(  There are a lot of great dishes for them and for those that like them.   :D  Crab Stuffed with bacon, creamcheese, butter, worchesteshire, Jack cheese, and topped with a little bread crumbs is delish.  If you ever want to try some or a nice steak topped with a little saute'd mushrooms give me a holler.  I'll try to convert you. ::) 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

gDub

You know what is really funny.  I hate mushrooms too.  One time I was helping a friend in the kitchen and was tending to some mushrooms he was Sautéing and the smell was overwheling.  But give me a big hunk of blue cheese and i'm a happy camper. I must have been born with deformed taste buds, but I do love smoked food so thay can't be to messed up. Might cut my brisket and try half with the Mustard.

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

gDub

I will, with Pics.  Just found a bunch of recipes on that link  http://www.susanminor.org/  Roquefort Steer Burger From ChefBill  SOUNDS YUMMY!!!
There goes my diet...See Ya later Diet, don't let the door hit you on your way out   :D

Habanero Smoker

I don't use the mustard slather. I usually just coat it with olive oil or other vegetable oil to help the rub adhere to the meat; olive oil works best. I trim the fat down to 1/8" - 1/4".

I just use a simple rub.
1/4 C. (2 parts) Kosher Salt
1/4 C. (2 parts) Fresh coarse ground pepper
2 Tbs. (1 part)  Granulated garlic powder
2 Tbs. (1 part)  Chile powder (optional)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

begolf25

I stick with the same approach Hab's uses when it comes to brisket. A simple rub of salt, pepper and garlic.

GL!

Wildcat

I also do Habs method.  This simple method brings out the pure meat taste.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

gDub

Thanks Guys, My smoker came today, I got the BPS so I can take camping next month, but I have a feeling I am going to end up with an OBS very soon.  Wish they made a six rack version.  I'll have to contact bradley and see if that will be coming in the new year.  Wouldn't mind the digital if it held temps better.

Oldman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 17, 2007, 02:33:08 AM
I don't use the mustard slather. I usually just coat it with olive oil or other vegetable oil to help the rub adhere to the meat; olive oil works best. I trim the fat down to 1/8" - 1/4".

I just use a simple rub.
1/4 C. (2 parts) Kosher Salt
1/4 C. (2 parts) Fresh coarse ground pepper
2 Tbs. (1 part)  Granulated garlic powder
2 Tbs. (1 part)  Chile powder (optional)
Yepper I agree on this one.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: gDub on August 17, 2007, 12:36:43 PM
Thanks Guys, My smoker came today, I got the BPS so I can take camping next month, but I have a feeling I am going to end up with an OBS very soon.  Wish they made a six rack version.  I'll have to contact bradley and see if that will be coming in the new year.  Wouldn't mind the digital if it held temps better.

BBQ GURU/RAPTOR

OH YEAH..........................

nepas  ;D

gDub

Got a relpy from bradley today (not used to getting replies so fast) they say they have no plans in producing a 6 rack OBS.  I sholud have asked if they were planning to fix the temp problems w/ the digital.  I picked up a 15.3 lb brisket today, and after I timmed it I had about 10 lbs left which is sitting in the Fridge right now rubbed down with Habs recommended rub and wrapped in plastic ready to go tomorrow. WAHOO!