Pork Butt

Started by kiyotei, August 26, 2007, 08:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiyotei

I also smoked a 9lb pork butt with bone earlier in the week.  I used a mustard/maple syrup slather and covered with a rub heavy in sugar.  I smoked it with a mix of hickory and maple.  I only had time to smoke it for 4 hours though.  Before placing in the oven I poured maple syrup on and added some apple juice and wrapped up the foil.  I put it in the oven at 205 degrees and went to bed.  I got up at 7 am and it was ready.  It turned out very nice but needed a bit more smoke.  I might just use hickory next time. 

Consiglieri

Sure looks like it was falling apart.  Hope you all enjoyed the meal.  I'm surprised you didn't have enough smoke taste on this meat after 4 hours of smoke.  If you're looking for a strong smoke flavor, you might mix in a bit of mesquite.
Consiglieri

kiyotei

its strange, some times my meat picks up lots of smoke flavor, other times it has very little.  I always smoke at least 4 hours.  I've been adding more mesquite to my various meats to improve the taste but I have to be careful not to use too much mesquite.

Stickbowcrafter

Love to see folks smoking thier "butts" off  ;D Nice work!

-Brian

aha638

Can your pre-coating and rub be preventing the smoke from getting to the meat????

Al

kiyotei

I don't think so.  Most professional BBQ chefs use rubs and slathers before and during smoking.  The slather is really a pretty thin coating, you can see the meat thru it.