Reveo Recipes

Started by Mr Walleye, August 22, 2007, 08:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokergirl

Hi Nepas,

This has nothing to do with your conversation, but I have heard that you are THE MAN when it comes to beef jerky. Any wisdom you could pass my rookie way would be held in god status. Recipes, time etc. It was recommended that outside round it a good choice of cut. Whats your take?

Thanks a puck
Smokergirl

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 24, 2007, 05:53:58 AM
NePas... That's a heck of a deal!

For the rest of us though.... Begolf25 is offering them to forum members for $120... Also a heck of a deal!

Mike

Yeah Mike
$120 aint bad either

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokergirl on August 24, 2007, 03:37:28 PM
Hi Nepas,

This has nothing to do with your conversation, but I have heard that you are THE MAN when it comes to beef jerky. Any wisdom you could pass my rookie way would be held in god status. Recipes, time etc. It was recommended that outside round it a good choice of cut. Whats your take?

Thanks a puck
Smokergirl

Hey Smokergirl

I like london broil. it marinates good and is tender. I can do 5 lbs in my reveo with 1/3 cup marinade for 10 mins and have full through. when i smoke, 1 hr 20 mins to 2 hrs max @170. then into my dehydrator for 2/4 hrs @160 or until i feel its done. i spray my jerky with potassium sorbate after to prevent any bugs and nasty micro critters.

Lots of good recipesout there. I will post one for you tomorrow.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: begolf25 on August 24, 2007, 06:06:34 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 24, 2007, 05:09:43 AM
I do just about all my marinating in my Reveo. Think they are $149 now. hmmm with my discount its around $87.50  ;D

nepas

NePa,

We might have to work out an arrangement if you are getting them that cheap.  How many can you but at one time? ;)

:D  :D  :D

I dont think the big "C" would like that  ;D

They could put me in the big "U" line

nepas

smokergirl

Howdy NePas

thanks for the London Broil tip- I have had my beej in Gizmos basic brine overnight and will rack it up today. Am planning on doing lots variety as fall sets in  so anything you send my way will be greatly appreciated. I await (patiently) for recipes.

Smokergirl

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokergirl on August 26, 2007, 08:31:59 AM
Howdy NePas

thanks for the London Broil tip- I have had my beej in Gizmos basic brine overnight and will rack it up today. Am planning on doing lots variety as fall sets in  so anything you send my way will be greatly appreciated. I await (patiently) for recipes.

Smokergirl

Smokergirl

Here are a few of my marinades for jerky.

Teriyaki

1 cup teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 pound of meat strips

Mix all ingredients except meat. let stand for 15 mins. Add strips marinade for 1 hour or longer in fridge covered. Smoke at 160* for 1 hour with your fav puck. Then into dehydrator for 4 hours until desired firmness is reached. If you dont have a dehydrator you can still use your bradley, Just open vent all the way and have no water in the pan. Be sure to check often so you dont over dehydrate (cook it).

Amish Root Beer Jerky

You can use any RB

2 bottles of RB
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoom ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
OPT liquid smoke 1 teaspoon

Reduce RB over medium heat to 1 cup. Remove and add remaning ingredients except meat. Let sit for 15 mins. Add meat and marinade for 2 hrs or overnite covered. Remove and smoke for 1 hr 20 mins at 160* to 170* You can dehydrate this also. Also mix some extra salt/pepper together to sprinkle on jerky before smoking or dehydrating.

An old Amish guy tought me to put the finished jerky in a brown paper bag after done smoking or dehydrating to absorbe any surface fat spots. Spraying with potassium sorbate helps keep micro bugs off too.

NOTE

You dont see any cure here cuz I dont let the heat drop below 160*
Cure is needed 140* and lower.

nepas  ;D

begolf25

Going to give my Reveo its maiden voyage this weekend. Going to start out simple and do some chicken breasts tonight and the some steaks Sunday. I am going to try and take some pics and let you know how it comes out. I haven't decided on the marinades yet.

Wondering if any of you have put ribs in the Reveo prior to smoking?  If so, what did you do and how were the results?

nickld

I always use my Reveo for beef jerky. I like to use top round london broil cuts and grab 'em up when they're on sale. I freeze em and use an electric meat slicer to get a nice uniform cut. About 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick. I'm kind of picky so I hand trim as much fat as possible from the meat. I usually just use a dehydrator and liquid smoke but think I'll do an hour or two of cold smoke and then finish in the dehydrator. As for recipes, well I'm not ready to give my recipe out just yet. Been working on it for several years now and get rave reviews as well as demands for more. I basically make sort of a cajun/chipotle marinade. I am currently working on a Jamaican jerk marinade as well, and plan on adding a curry flavor soon.  Folks keep telling me I should package and sell it as it blows any store bought jerky away. Problem is it would be a very pricey product after all is said and done....

Smokin Soon

Some pretty good recipes in the Reveo Manual if interested. Also more info for us lurkers on the product.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/images/reveo/reveo_manual.pdf

Father Tom

Hi Smokegirl

There are many books listing recipes for "JERKY"  I hae been using one called "The Sausage-Making Cook Book" by Jerry Predika (Stackpole Books).  It lists 21 different types from around the world.

Enjoy.

Tom