Pork butts and the Plateau data

Started by MoSmoke, August 22, 2007, 08:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoSmoke

Hello to all.
I'm new to posting on this forum but I have have been reading and absorbing the smoke since early July.
Over the last month or so I have smoked pork butts on three occasions and have kept a record of the internal temps and the time from start to finish. I have plotted this data in Excel and would like to share it with the forum. Is there any thing special I need to do to attach a file to a post.

The pulled pork was exellent and last weekend I tried Kummok's smoked salmon recipe and it was everything that everyone said it would be, the wife and I really enjoyed it.
With the help of the forum I have built the Dwyer TS and I am in the process of building a PID for tighter control of the temps. I really love my OBS and wish I would have known about them years ago.

Thanks again to all for the wealth of information.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

NePaSmoKer

Hi Mo

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have your Bradley pretty much dialed in  ;D
All sounds good what you have done so far.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

MoSmoke;
Thanks for sharing your information.

There is no way to attach a file to a forum post. If you have a personal website (many ISP's provide that to subscribers), you can upload it on your website, or one you have access to, and then post a link. Or you can send it by e-mail to individuals that would like to see the data.

I won't mind taking a look at it. I've found that the plateau is different, depending on what temperature you smoke/cook at. The lower the cabinet temperature, the lower the plateau temperature will be.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MoSmoke

Thanks Hab.

It's never simple.
I'll email it to you.

MoSmoke

iceman

Thanks for the chart MoSmoke. Good info. ;)

Habanero Smoker

Man I need to learn excel better. Thanks for the data. It looks very interesting, I can't wait until I get a chance to take a close look at it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Arcs_n_Sparks

MoSmoke,

You could take your file and convert it to a JPEG and post it as a picture.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Arcs_n_Sparks

Here is MoSmoke's data. The plateau is pretty obvious.......

Arcs_n_Sparks

MoSmoke

Arc's
Thanks for posting that for me.
I will need to learn how to post jpegs.
I will keep the data updated as I smoke more butts.
Also as you suggested I will try to overlay the BS smoker temps.
I started tracking the smoker temps using the Dwyer TS it was easy but the temp swings looked confusing. I'll work on it and come up with something presentable.
A smoker temp swing plot itself may be informative.

Thanks again for posting it.

MoSmoke

MoSmoke

The OBS temps for the above chart were set at:

1st smoke 7/03/07 temp was 215 degrees. This was with 2 butts of approx. 8.5 lbs each.

2nd smoke 7/20/07 temp was 225 degrees. This was with 2 butts of approx. 6 lbs each.

3rd smoke 8/10/07 temp was 225 degrees. This was with 2 butts of approx . 8.5 lbs each.

I had a Dywer TS hooked up to the smoker and if I had to guesstimate the temp swings it would be the temp the OBS was set at plus 5 degrees and minus 10 degrees. I don't know if the TS tightens the temp swing range over the basic OBS like a PID would, but it is nice to be able to dial in a temp and forget it.

MoSmoke

Carter

That's a really cool chart MoSmoke.  Thanks for posting.

Carter

Arcs_n_Sparks

More MoSmoke data. Showed up in PID wormhole next to my computer...........