• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 12, 2007, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Got 5 lbs of meat ready for stuffing snack sticks in the morning. Going into 19mm casings. 1 hr at 150* no smoke then 160* 1 hr with smoke, then 1 hr at 175* no smoke hanging.

90% lean GB with 1 lb pork.
Cure added, powdered milk, salt, pepper, garlic, dextrose, powdered teriyaki and a little bit of sausage tang for an extra bite  ;D

nepas

Mr Walleye

Mmmm.... I think I can smell it NePas!  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Mike, you can have the smell, I want a shipment!!
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Sounds really nice Nepas

You have so many nice recipes, do you have them all written down?, or can you just do them from memory?

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: LilSmoker on September 12, 2007, 11:05:39 PM
Sounds really nice Nepas

You have so many nice recipes, do you have them all written down?, or can you just do them from memory?

LilSmoker

Lil

I been smoking stuff since i was 17, so thats uhhh 30 years  ;D . most i have in my head but i do have some on my jump drive.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

These are 19mm collagen casings so they are good size snack sticks.

nepas

La Quinta

Those look awesome! I never used collagen casings...are they easier to work with the hog/lamb..etc.? Also, where do you buy them? On line?

Arcs_n_Sparks

La Quinta,

They are easy to work with, since they are very uniform. However, they are not quite as tender as a natural casing. I get mine from the Sausage Maker. www.sausagemaker.com

Arcs_n_Sparks

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on September 13, 2007, 12:33:17 PM
Those look awesome! I never used collagen casings...are they easier to work with the hog/lamb..etc.? Also, where do you buy them? On line?

I get em from my work. Hog/Lamb casings are not as good for snack sticks IMHO. Hog/Lamb are good for brats, polish, chorizo, breakfast, italian kinds os sausages.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

All done rinsed with cold water ready for the fridge. I slipped up and didnt pay attention to the last hr and burnt the ends some, but they still taste good.

nepas

rbentle2

Looking good NePas. I see you list dextrose in your recipe. What exactly does that do? Act as a binder?
Bob

Tiny Tim

Dextrose is a sugar...I believe made from/with corn (could be wrong on that).

HCT

You did it again NePaS. ;) :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iceman

Nice looking Nepa.
Not to get off topic but when Ann saw the controllers on the side of your smoker she started laughing. She said it looked like some of mine and she swears I let Frankenstein charge up on it at night. :D Man she just don't understand we need all this stuff (and  more) to do this right. ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: rbentle2 on September 13, 2007, 01:52:46 PM
Looking good NePas. I see you list dextrose in your recipe. What exactly does that do? Act as a binder?

Dextrose: Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counteract salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives the desired tang of flavor.

Thanks
nepas