Shelf life of natural casings

Started by sherlock, September 27, 2007, 11:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I want to make and smoke some sausage. However, I will start with only a few pounds. I saw casings for sale but it was enough to stuff 115 pounds.

My question is this. Can the excess casing be refridgerated or frozen?

MoSmoke

Here is a cut and paste from the Butcher and Packer Supply website.

Care of Natural Casings
All natural casings can be resalted even if they have been soaked. Just take regular table salt, wet it and apply generously on the unused casing. Pack casing in a air tight container and refrigerate. DO NOT FREEZE! Freezing a natural casing will weaken it and it will be no good after it has thawed. Properly stored natural casings can last under refrigeration for at least one to two years.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

manxman

Yes, this advice is spot on and I have done it on several occasions. I have used both sheep and hog casings and resalted and stored in the fashion mentioned above without a problem.

I usually wrap either the unused and/or the resalted casings in a plastic sandwich bag, gently squeeze the air out and wrap then put that bag in a Foodsaver bag and vacuum seal it then store in the fridge.
Manxman

sherlock

Thanks go out to you both. That helps.

iceman

I've done it like Manx suggested and found some in the back of one of my turbo air coolers two seasons later and it was still in great shape. Some of the natural hog casings they sell are salted and vac packed and are stored at room temp. I think with proper salting the stuff is pretty much like a hostess twinky and will last for years.  :D

Stickbowcrafter

Yep, it keeps in salt in the fridge for a long time.

-Brian