Venison

Started by SmokinScott, September 24, 2007, 06:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinScott

Hey there every body.  I havent been on this site for a while.  I took a little break from the smoker for the summer.  I have a question about venison.  I have a tenderloin what should I soak it in before smoking and for how long.

NePaSmoKer

BACON-WRAPPED LOIN OF VENISON

Ingredients
1 loin (or other available venison)
8-10 pieces of thick streaky bacon
a few sprigs of rosemary

For the marinade:
1 cup dry red wine
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp dried rosemary
ground black pepper to taste

Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft.  Allow to cool a little, then add all other ingredients and mix well.  Place the trimmed loin in a resealable plastic bag, pour marinade in and seal bag with as little air inside as possible.  Marinade overnight in the fridge.

Remove the loin from the marinade, and wrap with bacon, tucking the rosemary sprigs on top of the meat under the bacon.  Secure the bacon along the spine of the meat with toothpicks. 

nepas

Artmiester

Thanks nepas!
I have a large loin given to me just recently and this looks just like the ticket. Don't have to share either. Gonna try it this weekend. 8) 8) ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

gizzard

NePa -your venison sounds great. What is your smoking procedure? Our antelope season opens this weekend and if the better halfs rifle is on I would like to try a loin. Thanks

SmokinScott

Thanks that sounds good i am going to give it a try

NePaSmoKer

Smoke @180 for 1 hr 40 to 2 hrs with what ever kind of wood you like. The internal meat temp should get around 150*
You can bump the heat up if you want. Also you can boat the loin in some liquid of your choice while smoking.

nepas

gizzard

Thanks a bunch Nepas. We are going to give it a try