I found a box of mesquite at my local Canadian Tire Store

Started by Carter, May 12, 2008, 10:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

Any advice on what meats this would work best with?  I'm curious who else is currently using it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Carter

Smoking Duck

About the only meat I would use mesquite on is beef.....it's a very strong smoke.....however, I'm sure our Texas friends could help more.....they love mesquite down that way.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

I put two hours of mesquite on 2 chickens the other day - came out good. the smoke flavor was fairly strong, but definitely very edible. I had some for lunch today.

I would probably also use it for beef or Pork.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Yep in Texas, at least for me, mesquite is the wood of choice it can be a little strong so remember the old adage you can always add to it but you can't take it back out.  I like a little more hickory with pork, and for chicken and fish a little more pecan, but experiment with it (hey if you don't like it you can always send to me  ;D)  Enjoy and keep us posted!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

SD and westex are correct esp since me and westex live in the same town....mesquite is prob the smoke of choice down here in TX.  I think mesquite is great for beef and pork but I also like to mix in a little apple or cherry with it.  Any other meats I think it would be a little to strong for most people...personally I llike it with about everything but I have also grown up in TX my whole life.  Around in this part of TX mesquite is the only tree that we have so that is what is used most....but since ive bought a bradley ive tried branching out (pun intended)  ;D....so maybe ill find a second flavor that I also like.  Just remember it is a strong flavor.

tt
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Wildcat

I like mesquite on almost everything myself.  For beef it is my favorite along with pecan, oak, and hickory (in that order).  Oak and pecan or just a little milder IMHO.  For other meats I prefer maple, apple, and sometimes cherry.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

i knew there was something i liked bout you wild  ;D  :D  ;)
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Carter

Thanks for the ideas folks.  What I'm reading loud and clear is "It's a great wood, just take it easy with it at first."

Wildcat

Quote from: Carter on May 13, 2008, 10:21:10 AM
Thanks for the ideas folks.  What I'm reading loud and clear is "It's a great wood, just take it easy with it at first."

It has a wonderful flavor, but if you like a mild smoke, either go with less of it or switch to pecan or oak.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/