Shoe leather jerky

Started by smokergirl, August 27, 2007, 05:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Thanks - Might be a good Christmas gift.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

My new $9.99 Santuko Knife works pretty good too. ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tiny Tim on September 24, 2007, 12:26:36 PM
My new $9.99 Santuko Knife works pretty good too. ;D

I used a knife too. But when you do as much jerky as i do the machine is way faster  ;D

nepas

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2007, 09:31:49 AM
Quote from: Wildcat on September 24, 2007, 09:00:03 AM
NePa, that looks really cool.  8) Can you provide more info on it?

I have one it makes perfect 1/4" slices. I have the motoer on it too.

nepas

:D :D  :D Dang, I have been gone from the forum for so long and still saw this one coming.  ;D ;D  ;D  Man of all gagets smokey - I missed ya NePa!

The eye of the round has seemed to provide me the most consistent quality results in meat. The 1/4 inch works perfect making for easy slicing and easy to store / pack jerky cookies. Once I settled in on the eye it did not take much time to work out the other variations and getting reliable results.

I do use water in the bowl while the actual smoke is occuring (just to catch the pucks) but take it out as soon as the smoke is done. Vent full open the whole time to move moisture out of the tower.

I call it jerky when the bend is good - a long while before snap.

Dont know if you rotated the racks top to bottom and front to back - no roations will result in bottom and backs of racks having frisbe like texture.

Great fun

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Junk Yard Dog

SmokerGirl,

I have my butcher slice it at 1/4".  May I suggest that you buy Hi Mountain Jerky Cure?  Follow the mixing directions and marinate it overnight.  Then, smoke it until it gets dark reddish (not black).  Best jerky I've ever eaten.

Gary

Gary in Texas

smokergirl

Thanks Junk Yard (Gary)
Hubby is itchin for me to give it another go pretty quick,
what is your preferred cut? been hearing lots of inside round,
but I am ALWAYS greedy on any suggestions at all.

Thankls a rack
Smokergirl (Sheri)

Mr Walleye

For Jerky my preference is eye of round. I also have a local butcher that cuts it for me. He cuts it frozen on a meat bandsaw.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Junk Yard Dog

Sheri.  I'm embarrassed.  I don't know the cut of meat.  I just go to my butcher and tell him I want jerky meat.  I think it is sirloin, but not sure. 

You have made me want to do another batch.  I will go to the butcher tomorrow and get some more meat.  I'll ask what kind I'm getting.

Gary in Texas