help a newbie

Started by Duster, September 25, 2007, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duster

Hello to all, I have been reading all kinds of helpfull hints on here for a while now. But this is my frist post. As a mater a fact this fourm is what convinced me to purches my OBS about 3 weeks agao! I have done a few things in it and WOW, pulled pork is the best I ever had and the chicken aint bad either. However now I need some help from all you smoking guroos on this fourm.
A buddy of mine has two 10lb bone in cured hams in the freezer from when he bought a hog last christmas. He hasn't done anything with them cause he didn't know what to do with them. After he tryed some of my pork butt he knew excatly what he wanted done.
So dose anybody have any tips, tricks, secrects, or anything on smoking a cured ham? PLEASE HELP, I dont mind destroying a pice of meat in the name of recipie science (well I don't like it but understand it hapens sometimes) however this guy has been a mentor to me for quite some time he is over twice my age and has tought me everything I know about the great outdoors, fishing, hunting, camping, ect. He is a great freind one that most people only dream of finding and one that can never be replaced. He is alot like a father to me so I want to do those hams up just perfect for him. So if there is anything you bradley masters are willing to share with me on this it would be appreasheated.
Thanks Dusty
P.S. for those of you that noticed sorry about the spelling, it has never been a strong subject of mine

Mr Walleye

Hi Dustin and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear of you success so far. I don't have any experience to relate to you on the curred hams but I'm sure some others soon will.

Great story about your hunting/fishing/outdoor friend. It's always good to see things being passed on to other generations like this. Even better is the fact you want to repay the favour.

Good luck

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

There are a few variations on what is a "cured" ham.  Wet cured, wet cured injected, dry cured, and then cooked or uncooked.

Without specifics, I think it best to say, cold smoke the cured ham.   Cold smoking is under 100 Deg F.  Smoke for about 2 hours (more or less depending on smoke taste), I would suggest apple if you have it, then you can prepare the ham afterwards any way you want it.  If it is not cooked, you could also hot smoke it.

When cooking, 160 deg is the typical internal temperature you are looking for.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Here's an interesting concept from the recipe site:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53

Good luck with your project, and keep us up to date! (and pix are a big bonus).

Cheers
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

I have a fresh ham that I'm getting ready to put in a cure. Here's another option.

This is how I smoke a cured ham. Skip the curing section, since your hams are already cured. Follow the smoking/cooking directions. Since that post I've done a few other hams. I generally now smoked them; using the cabinet temperatures in the recipe, and bring the ham up to 127°F internal temperature. I then wrap them in plastic warp (you can add a layer of foil over the plastic), and refrigerate for 1 - 2 days. Then use the oven roasting technique at the end of the recipe. If you do use the roasting directions, make sure your exhaust fan is on. When you roll back the aluminum foil and finish roasting, the sugars on the foil will start to burn. The ham comes out alright, but your guest will think you've burnt it up.

At times I will not use a glaze, while roasting. After roasting, and a rest period, I will slice the ham up, place it in a 9x13 baking dish, layering the meat as evenly as possible. Then apply about half of the glaze, place it 6" below the broiler, and broil until the glaze begins to bubble. Place the remaining glaze in a serving dish for those who may want to add more glaze at the table.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4376.msg39237#msg39237

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Duster

thanks for the input guys I was hopeing to be able to turn them out over a weekend but thats ok I relize you can't rush perfection!

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum.  Glad you decided to join us.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Dustin

Nice name my sons name is Dustin too  ;D

Lots of good tipsNtricks from friendly forum folks here

ENJOY

nepas

Stickbowcrafter

Duster

Well guys we had the ham for dinner today and I must say prety tastey! I don't think that a whole ham has near the same fat content as a butt cause it was a bit on the dry side but not bad at all. The most important thing is that the realy good friend of mine that I told you all about thought that it was perfect !!!
I used a varation of olds T-Shrit method. Thanks for all you guys soport and now I'm looking forward to our next adventure.

p.s. sorry I don't have any pic's I never thought to take a pic till we were eating. dose anybody know if pic's from a phone is viewable on here or dose it need to come from a real digital cammera?

La Quinta

Dustin!! Very cool...welcome to the forum! Ya know what...you keep trying...(my first pastrami came out like crap) the next one was deli style!! Glad your friend loved it!! Listen to these very smart people on this web...I'm not one!!! But there are masters here! (I don't know how do to pictures either...by the way!!) :)