• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Orginal or Digital

Started by Michelle85, October 09, 2007, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle85

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to bbq in general.  I just attended the American Royal BBQ competition in Kansas City and I found a new passion in life, BBQ!!!  I talked to many of the competitors and most of them said I should get a Bradley because its ease of use, as I have little experience with smoking.  I am wondering how much better the Digital Bradleys are than the original.  I would only get a 4 rack since I am a very small girl.  So is it my best option to get the Original and then purchase my own thermometer?  I read about the guru/raptor with the competitor on this forum.  Would that be necessary to get for a newbie like me?  Or should I get some temperature reading device that is more basic.  Sorry if my questions are already posted.  Thank you very much gentleman.  :)

Tiny Tim

Hi Michelle85.  To answer on the thermometer, I'd get a good one regardless of the smoker you choose.  The Maverick ET73 is a really good option, although a standard remote (with just a display with wired probe) will work fine.

On to the Digital vs. Original.  I have the Original and have added a PID.  I'm very happy with my setup and wouldn't change it.  I do believe if I had gotten the Digital, I would have the same comments with that as well.  Price was the deciding factor for me, and the reason I added the PID is because I like to set things to a number instead of a switch to a certain position (my stove even has numbers on the knobs instead of HI, MED, LOW).

The one drawback I have seen on this forum with the Digital, is having to reset the timer on the tower and/or the smoke generator when doing a smoke longer than almost 10 hours...most projects should come in under that, but a stubborn Butt or Brisket, left to go overnight could become a problem.

You will be very happy with whichever model you choose, but if you want one right away, I'd suggest opting between the Stainless and the Digital 4 Rack, as I've heard the Black Original is currently out of stock in Bradley's Warehouse(s).

I am a Bradley Dealer in Western Iowa, and would be happy to assist you in any way possible.

La Quinta

Welcome to the forum Michelle85! It's amazing what you'll learn here from some seriously talented smokers! :)

KyNola

Welcome Michelle!,
Tim is on the money about the Maverick ET-73.  I also use one and it is much more accurate than anything Bradley installs on any of their smokers.

Original vs. Digital?  I opted for the digital for the very reasons you are considering.  It is quite easy to use.  I think it is a matter of personal choice.  Whichever one you choose, you will be happy with it.

The veteran members of this forum are much more qualified to answer your questions than me so listen to them!

Have fun and keep us up to date on what you decide!
KyNola

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum!  From everything I have read, the original and digital are wonderful.  I have the Original in Stainless myself and have not modified it.  Once you get use to the temperature control it is easy.  Many folks on here modified theirs with various temp controls for precise temp settings.  IMHO it is not really required for great food.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Artmiester

Welcome aboard Michelle85!
Tiny's suggestion on the Digital 4 rack is probably the way to go. I was interested in the stainless model at first but was told by my local dealer that the BSS was kind of lite (not 304) and didn't seem to be insulated as well. I don't have first hand knowledge of this but any model is going to turn out GREAT Q. Here's to many great smokes ahead! ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Habanero Smoker

Michelle;
Welcome to the forum. I couldn't tell you which one to buy, since I have only had experience with the original model. I don't have much else to add, most has already been said. No matter which model you get, you should invest in a probe thermometer to at least monitor the internal temperature of the meat. As mentioned, the ET-73 is a remote dual probe thermometer that will allow you to monitor the food and cabinet temperatures from a remote display. It is well worth the expense.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome Michelle85

As said, either model would be money well spent, i have the original which has given me some fantastic results, it's never missed a beat and i love it deeply  ;D

Accesories as mentioned Maverick ET-73

Bubba Pucks x 3

Whatever you decide you'll be happy

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

La Quinta

I have a question...when I was looking to buy my OBS I considered the digital first but was given advice (by a friend) that because of the climate we live in (hot desert conditions) that the digital component (for lack of a better way to say it) might "fry". Could that happen? We can reach almost 120 degrees sometimes in the summer. Just curious really.

Duster

welcome abord, as far as the digital controls getting too hot I'm not realy sure. However, it should be mentioned on here (and hopefully the guys here will correct me if I'm wrong) is that the digital smokers are prety much a "set it and forget it" type of smoker to where the orginal (witch is what I have and is still very easy to use) takes just a bit more babysitting! that is the main reason for my choice I enjoy laying in the hammock drinking some beer and "babbysitting" the smoker. either way you'll love either one of them i'm sure.

begolf25

Welcome to the forum Michelle.

As already stated here you cannot go wrong either way. I have an original that I added a PID to. Pretty much turns the original into a digital. If you want set it and forget it out of the box go with a digital.

I also use the Maverick ET-73 and the Bubba Pucks. The Bubba Pucks will save you lots of money on bisquettes. GL and look forward to seeing your results.

Bryan

hillbillysmoker

Hi Michelle, Welcome to the forum.  There are many friendly folks here, as you are discovering, who are also anxious to help and to share with you.  I have the OBS and I am very happy with it. I have friends with the DBS who are also very happy. I went with the OBS simply to save a few bucks. Whatever you buy, you will be very happy with it.  I  have the Maverick ET73 also and recommend it highly although I can not achieve the 100 foot range that is advertised. I also run a Guru/Raptor which I added to my package later and it is super nice.  It is, however, not essential for successful adventures. It just makes things much easier, but it can be a future addition. Others run different temperature controllers and have success also. It merely a matter of what you want and the amount of money you are willing to spend to achieve it.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stickbowcrafter

I love my Original. I added a digital temp switch for $50. I don't know anything about the Digital Bradley's but there is a ton of info here about them. Good luck and welcome!

-Brian

Michelle85

Hey Thanks Everyone for the replies!

This is honestly the friendliest introduction I have ever received on a message board.  You guys helped make my decision easy.  I will purchase an OBS with the Maverick.  And maybe down the road I will set up a PID.

I'm just wondering if theres any chance the Bradley's can cause a fire.  I am going to place the Bradley on my patio of my apartment, which has an 8 foot ceiling.  And when winter hits in Kansas City, will my Bradley be safe outside with a cover on it?  I am hoping to still get some use out of it in winter.  Do most people use Bradley in winter?  I hope so! :)

Can't wait to post some pictures when my first meal is made! 

Thanks again ladies and gentlemen!!!  ;D

LilSmoker

Hi again  Michelle85, if the Bradley is used in accordance with the instructions it is a very safe unit.

Here's a few pointers:

Always make sure the vent is open, i have mine one third to half way for most smoking.

Always make sure the "V" pan is the right way up, and clean with no blockage.

Always refresh the water bowl every 4 hours.

Do noy allow meat/food etc to touch the side walls of the cabinet, keep them inside of the racks.

The sides of the Bradley can get quite hot during smoking, so allow adequate clearance etc

Use on a level surface

Always unplug the power cord when smoking has finished

You can use the smoker all year round, just keep it out of the rain.

It will be ok on your patio, just allow enough clearance from the vent so heat/smoke can escape at the appropriate rate.

When using the cover, make sure the generator is completely covered, or better still remove it and store inside.

Mine gets used all year round, can't beat the smell of BS ribs in the winter

Anyway hope this helps............LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes