OBS tower able to be adapted to DBS generator

Started by hosshunter, October 11, 2007, 05:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hosshunter

I managed to adapt a Digital generator to my Original smoke tower. The adaptation is very simple with less then $30 in parts from Bradley. You need to purchase the sensor, sensor connector and sensor cable. You may also wish to purchase the power cable from the generator to the tower but you can also build this cord with parts you have at home. As for the wiring what I did was basically eliminate the sliding switch (the digital generator now handles its function). I have left the high temp sensor in and plan to purchase the rubber holder so I can mount it into the tower more cleanly. I don't believe this high limit sensor is in the DBS but a redunceny will not hurt. The nice thing is if I ever have a problem all I need to do is reattach the wires to the sliding switch and use the original generator. Once I install the high limit switch I will post photos.

I was able to purchase the digital generator on Ebay for less then a stand alone generator. From what I understand the buyer received this in a lot of merchandise she bought I assume from a freight company of damaged goods. The generator appeared to have been dropped as the seams were not tight and the two screws holding the back cover of the digital display were stripped which allowed the circut board to flex just enough to not allow good contact of the temp/time up and down buttons. A toothpick cut down just a smidge longer then the button and placed inside the button solved this problem,

I ran the smoker for 6 hours with no problems. I set it at various temps and ran it as high as 280 degrees. I plan on doing dried beef and canadian bacon this weekend.

Mr Walleye

Good job on your project Hosshunter!

And thanks for sharing the information.

That's an interesting comment on the high limit switch. I have a DBS but I haven't had the back off of it to say for sure or not if it has one.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hosshunter

If you look inside the tower you will see the sensor between the 2nd and third rack the high limit switch looks just like the sensor. I actually put my sensor in the place of my high limit switch on the original tower. But there is room right next to it for the addition of the high limit switch.

NePaSmoKer

hosshunter

I don't have photos yet need to borrow digital camera from my brother and I want to get high limit switch installed. Once I get camera I will post photo of unit and later I will post additional photos of wiring once high limit switch is cleanly installed

Artmiester

Hey Hoss! What a great project. I'd be really interested in what your temperature swings are during initial smokes. And of course, pix. I suspect a PID in your future. Good luck! ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

hosshunter

From my first test it appears I am getting a 15 degree rise after the sensor shuts off the element and the sensor doesn't kick the element back on until a 10 degree drop from set point. I think I will do a little reseach on the sensor and see if there is a similer sensor out there with better tolerances hopefully from the same manufacturer. Hopefully Bradley will tighten up the tolerances in the future.