Jerky & The OBS Thermometer

Started by BurntFork Ken, October 28, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurntFork Ken

Howdy Gang,

Been a while since I've been out to the OBS, so I finally set to makin' some jerky over the weekend.  Based on some of the threads I've seen, the OBS built in thermometer isn't always 100% accurate.  I dropped my remote probe we use for BBQ into the cabinet, both about half way down and higher up, closer to where the OBS probe sticks through the door.  The remote always registered anywhere from 25 to 12 degrees (F) hotter.   ???

What this means is that I have been doing jerky at about 160-170 degrees (F), when I thought I was in the 145-150 range.  It usually takes 4 hours and it comes out pretty danged good.  Today I ran the Bradley at 143-145 the entire time (according to the remote probe) and I came out with OK jerky in nearly 6 1/2 hours.  I think for the sake of argument, I'm pegging the thing at 60 degrees (C) for four hours on the OBS probe, and calling it good.   :)

BTW, anybody every install a small fan inside the cabinet to facilitate air movement?

Happy smoking!
Ken

Gizmo

Hi Ken,
If you do a search, you will find a few threads here on circulation fans.  Several have installed them.  They have part numbers listed as well for the correct type of shaft and motor to use.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

There's also a set of instructions with parts on the recipe site (click my signature).  Happy Smoking.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!