Need a little help here....

Started by Curtis T. Hogg, October 13, 2007, 01:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis T. Hogg

Hello to all. I just bought a bradley smoker and seasoned it.  I am smoking some ribeyes.  They about 1" thick.  4 of them.  My question is, how long I need to smoke?  I 'm gong to smoke them then right when my company comes over I'm going to grill to finish.  I'm not going to tell them my secrets.  Anybody here ever done that?
I been reeding this bord and got some good tips off of it.  Anybody ever done beef tips in the bradley smoker?
Thanks
Curtis

West Coast Kansan

CTH, Welcome try for about 1.5 hours. 

When I do this smoker to grill thing I have cold smoked (just the puck burner ON) them about an hour the night before and let them season in the fridge overnight. Smoke seems to improve overnight.

We do not eat our steaks rare. Stay clean and watch time and temps for bug reasons. The steaks go straight from the fridge to the smoker set up for cold smoking with the box and dryer vent approach.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

I have done beef cubes but as WCK, I cold smoked them as they were just an ingrediant to some chili.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Welcome Curtis. I cold smoked some steaks recently with 1 hour of hickory. I like a strong smoke flavor, but actually I could have gotten by with 20 minutes less. But, as WCK said, I think the key to success is the overnight seasoning in the fridge.

Stickbowcrafter

Welcome aboard. How'd the steaks turn out?

-Brian

Curtis T. Hogg

Well, im sorry to say that the ribeyes didn't turn out as planned. i put'em in smoker for about 4 hours. smoke with apple. had a few beers and waited.  then i took out and found ants on them.  cleaned them off.  put them on the grill for about 5 minutes on each side.  looked kind of burned but not bad.  fed them to my mother in law and her kid.  they said they were 'GRISTLY'  what ever that means.
oh well...i'm going to try again.  I think we have an ant problem.

Gizmo

I'd suspect on a ribeye Gristly would mean "fatty" and not actual gristle which is cartilage found near bones.

For those that don't like fatty food, ribeyes would not be the steak of choice.  The high fat content does make them tasty for the rest of us though.  When choosing a ribeye (or any steak), look for even marbling (fine lines of fat distribution) throughout the steak.  Those will be more appealing to those that don't like all that "flavor". :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Curtis T. Hogg

Well, i thought i  probably overcooked them but the old lady said she swares that they were "gristly". Got me thinking I didn't get all the ants off of them and they got cooked but I'm pretty sure they were off of them.  Didn't have any on my plate!  I'm going to try some of the atomic buffalo terds tomorrow.  I never have cooked them before but thought i would give it a try.  While I"m at it I'm going to smoke some deer meat and some bolony too.   I wil let you know how it goes.  They better not turn out "Gristly".  Thanks for all youre tips!