Cornish Game Hens

Started by Ontrack, November 07, 2007, 02:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

I have searched the site and have found very little info on Cornish Game Hens. Anyone have any suggestions? I used to do them on the water smokers all the time, but it's been a while. Should I brine, dry rub, inject, or what? Just all of the basic questions-wood, temp, time, etc...Thanks.

Duster

ontrack, I could have sworn that Bradley had a recipie for them on there site but I sure didn't see it. Sorry

Duster

ontrack, I found ya one! I have not tried it though so let us know how it is if you do.

QuoteSmoked Cornish Game Hens
This recipe is for four Cornish game hens, and will feed 6 to 8 people. These go along nicely with a variety of grilled vegetables and a cold pasta salad.

Brine Ingredients
Three pints water
One pint apple juice
One-third cup canning salt
Two tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dill weed, dry
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine the brine ingredients and bring to a boil. Remove the brine from the heat and chill down to 36 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Prepare the game hens by cutting along each side of the backbone, removing it from the carcass. Push down on the breast to flatten, and then remove the ribs if you like.

Marinate the game hens in the fridge overnight. Remove the birds from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.

Smoke the Cornish game hens at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 to 4 hours, or until the thigh temperature reaches 175 degrees. Allow the birds to rest for half an hour after smoking before splitting through the breasts and serving.

Optionally, the game hens can be indirect grilled, or grilled over medium low heat 45 to 75 minutes, or until 175 degrees is reached.

If you are a fan of smoked poultry, these smoked Cornish game hens will be something to cheer about. Juicy, tender and full of flavor, they will become an all time favorite.

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/poultryrecipes.html

Ontrack

Thanks anyway Duster. I actually used to keep a notebook years ago for my old smokers (like I do now for the Bradley), but I've moved 3 times since I even remember seeing it. If I remember correctly,it would say something like "thaw it, cook until done, then eat it". I was a real stickler for detail in my younger days. Hopefully, someone here will have an idea, but if not, I'll just "wing it"! ;)

Ontrack

Hey Duster, we must have posted at the same time. Thanks alot for the info, I have all of the brine ingredients on hand an now looks like I have a plan for Saturday's smoke! (Kummok's Salmon for Sunday, looking forward to doing that again, for sure)

huhwhatliar

Quote from: Ontrack on November 07, 2007, 02:51:35 PM
I have searched the site and have found very little info on Cornish Game Hens. Anyone have any suggestions? I used to do them on the water smokers all the time, but it's been a while. Should I brine, dry rub, inject, or what? Just all of the basic questions-wood, temp, time, etc...Thanks.

Ontrack this is from Bradley's UK site. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good.

Roasted Rock Cornish Game Hens
Ingredients
• 3 to 4 whole Rock Cornish Game Hens
• 1 can of anchovies or anchovy paste
• 250 g (1/2 lb) butter
• 4 large cloves of crushed garlic
• Olive oil
• 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary

Preparation
In a small glass bowl, mix the garlic and butter together and allow to firm up. Place the anchovies and an equal amount of the garlic butter into the Cornish game hens. Place the rosemary on the birds and bind the birds individually using cooking twine.
Brush the hens with the olive oil and place on smoker racks.

Smoking Method
Preheat the Bradley Smoker to approximately 250 F degrees. Using Cherry flavour bisquettes place birds in the Bradley Smoker. Depending upon the weather conditions, the birds should be cooked in about 3 to 4 hours. Check with an instant thermometer. If a light smoke flavour is desired turn the smoke generator off after 1 to 2 hours.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Ontrack

Domenick-Thanks very much for the recipe. There's only one problem-I am prone to occasional flare-ups of gout. Although I am on a preventative medicine and can eat mostly what I want in moderation, anchovies are the biggest no-no on my list. In fact, my doctor jokingly told me not to even walk by them in a store or restaurant. They are about the highest purine food on any list, so I have to steer clear-but I really appreciate your time and trouble. I wonder how your recipe would turn out minus the anchovies?

Habanero Smoker

There use to be several Cornish hen recipes on this site, many recipes were lost when they upgraded the forum. Also the search engine on this forum is poor. Cornish hens come out great in the BS, it is the only poultry that I will smoke whole on a regular basis. I brine for 2-4 hours (depending on the size of the hens), air dry until a pellicle is formed, coat with olive oil and apply a rub. I don't butterfly them; preferring to keep them whole. If I have any lemons I will quarter them and stuff them into the cavities, along with a couple of sprigs of thyme. I smoke/cook at 225°F-250°F, using about 1:40 - 2 hours of smoke. Keep them in the smoker until the internal temperature is 165°F, measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Or take them out earlier and finish in the oven or grill to improve the skin texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

Thanks Hab, I figured you would come in with a suggestion. I liked Duster's above, especially the brine, but I have never cut out the backbone. Also, the best I can remember, I think I used to brine for an hour or two at most, on a 1-1/2 lb bird. Does this sound right, or has my memory gone, too?

Habanero Smoker

Brining times depend on the weight and thickness of meat, and the salt concentration in the brine that you are using. It's better to error on the the short end of time then brining too long.

This is the brine I use for cornish hens:

BRINE:
1 gal. Water
3.5 oz. Kosher Salt
3.5 oz Brown Sugar or (Maple Sugar Granules; my variation of this recipe)
2 Tbsp Pickling Spice
DIRECTIONS:
Using two cups of the gallon of water add salt, sugar and pickling spices; combine in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure that all salt and sugar has dissolved; if not add more water until all salt and sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain and add this mixture to the remaining water; in a non-metallic container, and chill before using (bringing the temperature down to at least 40 degree F).

Place chicken in the brine, a place a dinner plate on the chicken to make sure it stays submerged in the brine. Refrigerate overnight or for 8 – 10 hours (for turkeys you will need to brine for a longer period of time). The higher end of the brining times is for increased flavor. Remove chicken from brine, pat dry, place on a rack, and let air dry in the refrigerator overnight uncovered. Poultry should feel tacky to the touch.

Note: The 8-10 hours is for 3-5 pound chickens. I only brine the cornish hens 2-4 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ontrack

Thanks, Hab. I think I can combine a little of yours, Dusters, and Domenicks (and any others I may get before Friday evening) recipes and come up with a darn good bird! I'll let you gus know how they turn out. Thanks again, guys!

Ontrack

Just finished the hens, and they were really good. I combined parts of Dusters, Habs, and Huhwhatliars brine recipes and was very pleased. The only thing I would change would be to add 20 minutes more smoke (I did 2 hrs.) Thanks alot for the help, guys!

winemakers

One twist we have done:

Brine/smoke as described by the masters above.  Have a batch of your favorite mashed potato's piping hot and ready when your hens come out of the smoker.  Pipe the mashers (garlic and heavy cream in our home) into the cavity to fill, and finish in a hot oven to crisp up some (guestimates 400 deg some 30 minutes).  Sharp knife from stem to stern to split in half, and present one half potato up, one half down.  Fun meal.

mld

Ontrack

That sounds really good, winemakers. I just jotted that down in my notebook and will give it a try the next time I do the hens. Thanks much!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: winemakers on November 11, 2007, 05:34:46 AM
One twist we have done:

Brine/smoke as described by the masters above.  Have a batch of your favorite mashed potato's piping hot and ready when your hens come out of the smoker.  Pipe the mashers (garlic and heavy cream in our home) into the cavity to fill, and finish in a hot oven to crisp up some (guestimates 400 deg some 30 minutes).  Sharp knife from stem to stern to split in half, and present one half potato up, one half down.  Fun meal.

mld

This sounds real good. This is a definate most do for me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.