BACON: Project Intense Maple

Started by MallardWacker, September 17, 2004, 06:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

Olds,

First I would like to apologize for not giving your post proper due.  I was in a hurry to get out the door and kind of did the speed reading thing.  I came back and decided to re-read your post.  Olds, that info about the bacteria is great.  That makes total sense.  I am always interested in getting more flavor into the meat.  What I might do is split my batch in half for somewhat of a "controlled study".  The part about MSG- oh that's what that stuff does-how interesting.  Olds thanks much for your input; it seems what ever you have to say has been backed up with a lot of experience.

Capt Mike,

I noticed you said.
<i><font color="blue">"When I was done rinsing I let them sit for about an hour while my BS was warming up to 150"</font id="blue"></i>

This is what I do: I place my meat in the smoker (after I let it set for an hour) when the smoker is cold and the smoker is coming up to 150, cook for 45 at 150, then and raise to 200 then start smoke.

Don't ever worry about asking questions, place them where you think of them.  You are correct about the bellies vs loin thing.  When I started down the Bacon road it was my desire was to have home made Bacon but after doing my first butt and the flavor I got from it I went towards the Canuk's way of things..The family is able to enjoy the meat in several ways now and I can just "grab it and go" with out having to cook it and it's leaner.  Man&gt;I love this stuff.

<font color="red"><b>Everyone (and White),

Thanks for following me around on this bacon thing.  You folks have added alot to a few of my days and made them seem a bit more civilized.  Remember it's not as much of what you smoke but its who you share it with that makes it.</b></font id="red">

<font color="limegreen">OK that will be <font size="4">last</font id="size4"> of the sentimental thing you will EVER hear out of me.....</font id="limegreen">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

MW

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The part about MSG- oh that's what that stuff does-how interesting.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

MSG when used correctly is a great favor enhancer. That is its original design. I believe people get in trouble with it when they are those who feel that because a little did so much that a lot will do better. Where I learned about MSG pushing the bacteria on chicken to create tunnels was in Sept. 1973, Church's Fried Chicken Training School in the Mid-West.

It is for this reason that a "Stand-Up" marination for chicken is far better than a mechanical marination which as best is only good for the first 1/4 inch.

BTW Church's Fried Chicken, I'm told, stopped using MSG years ago when everyone was saying it was such a bad item.  I know today their chicken is not nearly as tasty. The mixture at that time was Salt, Garlic, MSG.  You will find this funny... but they use to dye it pink in an effort to hide what was then their "trade" secret. LOL! How I found out was the only source for this mixture, at that time,  was the "plant" that the school I went to was part of!  Heh he he  I went through the dumpsters. Then I addressed it with one of the teachers. [:D]

I think that soon I will try this maple beacon of yours. I'm sure that I can drive over a couple of counties and find a good belly.  One day I'm going cure out a Fat Back (Some call it meat skin.)  Just cannot seem to find any today that is worth a nickle.  

Talk about eating.  Fried up Fat Back like beacon, make a sawmill gravey out of the grease,  cook up some yellow corn grits with cheese, soft scrambled eggs and hot biskets. Add some jam/ jelly of your choosing. You eat the Fat Back in the idea that you are using it as a salt for taste. Add fresh cracked black pepper and drink a quart of very cold milk. Now that is about as Southern a breakfast as you can get. More Southern folks have eatin' that than country ham and red-eye gravey!

I've booked marked this posting so I can find your information later on.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">OK that will be last of the sentimental thing you will EVER hear out of me.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ya Right!!! And I've got a bridge down here to sell ya~~! Opps sorry I cannot sell ya an swamp land...the Yanks bought it all up years ago~~~LOL [:D][:D]
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Olds,

That is still very interesting to me.  All I EVER heard about MSG is that it came in red and white containers and Chinese places didn't know the words "too much" when using it.  Before I do the Bacon, I think I will try some chicken wings and legs with the Churches secret recipe "or simular".  If all  I need is a little MSG to make things better, that is worth trying.

Being from Arizona I NEVER enjoyed southern food till I married my wife and moved to AR.  I know exactly what you are talking about.  Good harty pepper gravy made from some good sausage laid over some biskets.  Strange, when I went to South Carolina, there so called breakfast gravy is quite a bit different.  They have tendancy to brown the flour a bit more and it does change the taste.  I like the white better, but for lack of a better term, "it's all good".  Have a great day.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

My pork loin will be ready in a couple of weeks(21 days total).  I just hope my results are half as good as what I've been reading.

I also never cease to be amased at the knowledge base this forum has to offer.  My hats off to everyone for sharing your experiences with the group.  I have learned some valuable lessons here.[:D][:D]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

If I remember correctly the ratio was 1/3 MSG by volume to 2/3 salt, enough garlic so you can taste it in the marinade. You want enough salt so you can reasonably taste it, but not so much as to be over powering or worse has a bite to it. The MSG at this ratio will give you a slick feeling in your mouth when you taste the marinade.

If you deep fry chicken then the temp should be 370 unless you have a very fast recovery time. If you do then you can go with 350 when you start. Cook 14 minutes. Now if you doing a single whole bird cook in this order.
1.) Legs first--wait 1 min
2.) Thighs next--wait 2 min
3.) Breast next--wait 1 min
4.) Wings last. They need only 10 min of cooking time.

If you going to do just a batch of wings then cook them closer to 11-12 min. Of course this is all with a deep fryer.

I use peanut oil as it has the highest flash point. Plus it will not transfer flavors from one cooking to another, i.e. fish then chicken.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Thnaks Olds, let you know how it goes.  It may be a few days-have to Motor City this weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Smalls

Dow,
 What do you use as a liquid base for the MSG marinade?  Just water or something acidic like vinegar or wine?
Bill

Oldman

I have always used water with MSG, salt and garlic.

BigSmoker

WOW[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
I have never tasted better Canadian Bacon in my life.  Just right on the salt(rinsed, soaked 1 hour, repeated).  Smoked with 2:40 minutes maple and let cook until 160f average temp 225f.  Total cooking time of about 6 hrs.  The maple flavor is subtle and also has a hint of the turbinado sugar flavor I rubbed on it as well.  Thanks Mike for the inspiration and detailed postings about this project.  Christmas is going to be full of special treats for lots of folks this year.  Man I love it when a plan comes together.  I know thats from the "A" team but it fits[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D].  Just can't wait until I have fresh roasted coffee to go with this stuff[:)].  I encourage everyone to try this at least once.  It's fairly easy and you will not be disappointed with the results.
<font color="blue">Heres a pic of some of the slices.  Just can't get the hang of my wifes camera so its a little blurry[:(!]</font id="blue">

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Big S,

I'm glad you tried this and enjoyed the end results.  I think if more people would try this they would really find a new use for their BS and enjoy it more that the just the passing brisket, butt or ribs.  I'm glad you mentioned about the 160, to me you can't tell the differnce and it may be a bit more tender.  

<b><font color="red">ALSO:  I was in WalleyWorld last night.  SMOKED BONELESS PORK CHOPS went for $4.00 to $6:25 a lb. (essentially the same thing we have done here)</font id="red"></b>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas