PEAR Bisquettes?

Started by got smoke?, July 10, 2007, 12:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

got smoke?

Newbie here.  Lots of info, tips, and help.  Thank you all!  I've had my OBS for about 5 weeks now and am really loving it.  To get started I bought a box if pucks at a local bbq store.  They must have been very old stock.  Box count was only 36.  Box was white with black lettering and all the different flavors listed on the box top.  The appropriate flavor was checked off with a marker.

One of the flavors listed was PEAR.  How long ago did they stop selling them.  Was the smoke flavor any good? 

Lefty_Smoker

I'm not sure about when Bradley stopped selling pear bisquettes, but as far as flavor, it will be similar to peach or apple.  Count on a light, fruity, sweet smoke/flavor from pear wood.

manxman

Interesting, never seen pear mentioned here on the forum other than occasionally when people have been discussing what new flavours they would like to see.

Looks like you have got your hands on a real antique..... may be useful to post a picture of the box?
Manxman

got smoke?

I saved the box.  Will take a pic and try to post it.  Should generate some interesting discussion.

manxman

QuoteShould generate some interesting discussion.

Yes, be interesting to find the history behind it. Presumably Bradley discontinued them at some stage due to lack of demand? Or lack of pear trees?  :D

Maybe Bradley or the store that sold them can shed more light on it?

Welcome to the forum got smoke?  :)
Manxman

got smoke?

:-[  OK, the 'newbie' screwed up.  The box shows PEACH bisquette, NOT PEAR.  Sorry, got a little ahead of myself.  Everthing else was correct.  White generic box, Bradley name and address, and a list of all the flavors showing PEACH.  Hope to post a pic soon.  Photobucket?  Will that work for posting a pic?

gs

manxman

Yes, photobucket will work.

Peach.... pear..... either is a new one here. Or should I say a very old one!?  ;) :D

Any others on the list that are not produced nowadays?
Manxman

got smoke?

[img][img]

All the rest which are still available today are listed.  Peach was the only one different.

Quote from: manxman on July 16, 2007, 09:02:08 AM
Yes, photobucket will work.

Peach.... pear..... either is a new one here. Or should I say a very old one!?  ;) :D

Any others on the list that are not produced nowadays?

HCT

I'd like to see more variety with the bisquettes, be it peach, pear, orange and so on.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

A couple of years ago I sent Bradley an e-mail inquiring if they would be adding peach to their line of products. They politely said "No". They never mentioned that they had once sold peach bisquittes.

One can only hope that it a sign of things to come. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oyènkwara

This post got me wondering....

A short time ago I bought a box of Pecan from a BBQ/fireplace store on EBay. It too was in a white box with black lettering. The Bisquettes were packed in plastic sleeves that were twisted and sealed with tape at the top. They were not packed like we see them now (with the recipe cards).

I checked last night and this box also had peach listed as one of the woods. Someone had crossed off the peach with red marker.

The Bisquettes look like they had swelled a little, not quite as tightly packed as the newer pucks look, however they work just fine.

iceman

That's the way the older bisquettes were packed. All the newer ones come packed side by side with the card that I've seen up here in Alaska.
Quote from: Oyènkwara on July 17, 2007, 05:12:04 AM
This post got me wondering....

A short time ago I bought a box of Pecan from a BBQ/fireplace store on EBay. It too was in a white box with black lettering. The Bisquettes were packed in plastic sleeves that were twisted and sealed with tape at the top. They were not packed like we see them now (with the recipe cards).

I checked last night and this box also had peach listed as one of the woods. Someone had crossed off the peach with red marker.

The Bisquettes look like they had swelled a little, not quite as tightly packed as the newer pucks look, however they work just fine.

Stickbowcrafter