Jalepeno Poppers Help?

Started by La Quinta, August 25, 2007, 10:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Yes. I made it. There is a dish called scotch eggs where you wrap sausage around a hard boiled egg, bread it and fry. Really good!

ken peterson

Hi everyone, a newbe here so forgive me if I'm repeating someone. Never made the poppers, but I've been making chipotle all summer. You cut off the stem, halve and remove the seeds, then smoke till they are little shrivled things. "con" Takes a lot of smoke; 48 hours plus; "pro" they are supurb for flavoring anything. Can be smoked whole but are too hot for me. Takes just a few to season any sauce, try them.

La Quinta

Thanks Ken...is that a hot or cold smoke? (I assume hot but...) You know what they say when you ass-u-me!! I've never tried chipotles...always buy them in adobo sauce! But I always knew they were a smoked jalepeno...never thought about it!! Hey...welcome to the site!! :)

Gizmo

ken,
I would suspect you don't need to burn wood for the entire time.  Try running the smoke for only 4 hours or less, and then just let the box heating element finish the drying process.  48 hours of smoke would be very expensive.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Ken;
Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: ken peterson on September 14, 2007, 02:14:44 PM
   Hi everyone, a newbe here so forgive me if I'm repeating someone. Never made the poppers, but I've been making chipotle all summer. You cut off the stem, halve and remove the seeds, then smoke till they are little shrivled things. "con" Takes a lot of smoke; 48 hours plus; "pro" they are supurb for flavoring anything. Can be smoked whole but are too hot for me. Takes just a few to season any sauce, try them.

Also, you may want to do a search in the vegetable section. There are a few threads on making chipotle in the Bradley using about 3-4 hours of smoke then either using the smoker or a dehydrator to dry the peppers further.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

This is an old thread but here is my 2-cents worth.

I remove the seeds. Take a needle and prick the skins. Smoke for 4 hours. Remove and place in plastic bag. Place in refrig for several days. Then use a dehydrator.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

pensrock

I also only smoke my jalapenos for about four hours then into the dehydrator or into adobo sauce. I cut them in half first and seed them, them lay them in the smoker cut side down. Works great for me. Next year I'm doing Habs!