• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jerky help please

Started by Smoke_Lover, November 24, 2007, 01:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke_Lover

Hello everyone;

I havee'nt posted in some time but I still read almost daily.  I feel like I know most of you. 8)  I read that Nepas is the Jerky Guru and that AP has a, uhmm, unusual sense of humor, but any help will be appreciated.  :-X

I used to make Jerky from beef round roast using an Excaliber brand dehydrator and several packaged mixes from Leener's.  This was several years ago and I had rave reviews.  Anyway, I wish to make more Jerky, but Leener's seems to have changed their brand of seasonings and do not carry all the flavors, they used to.  Can anyone offer a new source and/or some recipes.

Also, I would like to give sausage making a try.  Would some one suggest what should be tried as a beginners batch. I have a BDS 6 rack and, after my second try, successfully made Habs Cannadian Bacon Recipe.  I tried a brine the first time and had some discoloring and got paronoid.  This time I used my Foodsaver and dry rubbed, per Habs recipe, and had perfect coloring and flavor.  Thanks Habs.

TIA
Jacee
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

winemakers

Leeners, did you find them on the web or are you a Leeners local?  I happen to be and enjoy those people and that store immensely.  As per sausage recipie, what style or type do you like?  Many of us have a lot of recipes and would be glad to help with some just a little guidance?

mld

Habanero Smoker

The discoloring is scary, but it just means that you did not cure the meat long enough. It is still edible, so you can cut it up into chunks and use it in chilies, stews etc. Just treat it as fresh meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoke_Lover

I found Leeners on the internet and did love their seasonings.  My question would be are they still just as good, now?  If you have tried them let me know please.

Sausage making:

Well, I am a Brat fan and like most breakfast sausages.  I have not really tried many others.  I tried a Brat at one of the local festivals with apples and just a hint of apple pie type of seasonings. Oh my :P.  Very good.  Thanks for the response. I would be grateful some suggestions, because there is so much info on sausages that I am unsure where to begin. 

I do have a Kitchenaide mixer and thought I would buy the stuffing attachment.  I have read that several people used it with success for smaller batches and that is all I will need. Just the two of us and not a lot of freezer space. >:(

Cannadian Bacon:

Okay; now I know for future reference. :D  I tossed it out and did more reading before I tried it again.  I also had a bit of a problem keeping the meat fully submerged and thought that the discolored part had spoiled by being exposed to air.  I think I read that, Nepas?, vacumned packed his and had good luck.  So I tried it and it worked beautiffully.
   I smoked mine differently.  I used 2 hours Maple cold smoke and then the 4 hour cook time you suggested and it was right on with the IT reaching 150, but Smoking the Whole time :o :o.  Thus my handle Smoke Lover ;), it was great.  Next time I will try another wood maybe Hickery or Apple.

Thanks
Jacee
You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you're going to live. Now.

Joan Baez

Gizmo

Quote from: Smoke_Lover on November 24, 2007, 01:18:36 PM
Anyway, I wish to make more Jerky, but Leener's seems to have changed their brand of seasonings and do not carry all the flavors, they used to.  Can anyone offer a new source and/or some recipes.

TIA
Jacee

You can make up your own cure and seasonings or I would suggest trying Hi Mountain brand. 
http://www.himtnjerky.com/

Jerky cure
http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248

My favorite so far is Original.
I have tried the Mandarin Teriyaki, Burbon BBQ Blend, and Inferno.
Most of the folks that are my regular recipients tend to favor the Inferno as they like it hot.

They also have sausage seasoning kits as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/