• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pumpkin seeds

Started by Malc, November 28, 2007, 06:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

I would have to agree with you Stickman...I'm gonna try it anyway! You know what? Nothing vertured...nothing gained!!!

Habanero Smoker

I generally smoke raw almonds, the roast them, but I have smoked roasted almond and they turn out fine. I'm not sure if there is any smoke penetration with either raw or roasted, but the smoke adheres to the surface well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

I have done roasted, salted pistaccios many times.  They are great and one of the most requested items I smoke.  Cold smoke them, and you will not be disappointed.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

La Quinta

Thanks Malc...cold smoking is a wee challenging where I live just yet...but I'm going to try it!!

Gizmo

Go for it LQ, it will turn out fine.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Malc

Quote from: La Quinta on December 03, 2007, 03:13:22 PM
Thanks Malc...cold smoking is a wee challenging where I live just yet...but I'm going to try it!!
I have done them in the summer with no cold smoke "setup" to speak of.  Here is what I do.  I put the nuts on the top rack with the vent all the way open.  I try to keep the temp as low as possible, under 100 if I can.  I will also prop the door open a bit to let even more heat out.  You could also try putting a bowl of ice in there to cool it.  I have done that too.  You just want to make sure you don't re-roast the nuts.  Other than that you should be fine.

begolf25

Brian,

Is there anything you haven't smoked?...LOL

Malc,

What kind of wood do you use on your pistachios?

Bryan

Malc

I have tried Apple and Hickory.  I like them both, but I prefer the heavier smoke of hickory on pistaccios.

La Quinta

Hey...thanks Malc (and Giz) the pistachious came out awesome!!! Nice and smokey and just plain ole good!!! I did them yesterday, wrapped them up in foil and threw them into the fridge overnight!!! I was eating them about 9am this morning!!! (But...I'm a bit odd!!!) :)

Malc

I bring them to work all the time.  You want to see a funny sight?  Watch a bunch of teachers smelling their hands all day.  Glad everything worked out. ;D

La Quinta

Hey Malc...I just received a "big ole" can of roasted/salted peanuts from a friend...done those before?

Malc

I have never done peanuts.  I have been reading a few of the posts about nuts, and was thinking about buying one of those cans of mixed nuts to smoke just to see which smokes up the best

Stickbowcrafter

Begolf, I'm a rookie compared to a lot of the guys here but I have smoked my share of stuff over the years. Still have a TON of stuff to try!!! That's half the fun of it  ;D

-Brian

Malc

I tried the pumpkin seeds according to the above recipe except that mine were raw and shelled.  They turned out great.  The only thing I changed was the salt water soak, which I omitted.  Not very smoky, but a little hint.  Not bad at all.

IKnowWood

I love the Citrus Pistachio's that's on the recipe site.  But I also have experimented with Almonds, Pecans and Walnuts.  The Almonds and Pecans I do about the same way.  Turbinado Sugar and Coarse salt on washed nuts.  These are already roasted nuts.  The wet nuts hold the sugar and salt well.  Then warm smoked for an hour or two.

Does not leave the oder on the hands as much, no shell but tastes great.

I use Maple on the nuts, I tried others but Maple was the most frequent repeat.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes