• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bacon - Skin on, skin off?

Started by bmo, November 17, 2007, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmo

What's the consensus on whether to 'de-skin' a cured pork belly (to turn it into bacon) or not before smoking ?

Thanks!
---
http://www.n9adg.com
---

3rensho

I usually leave it on for smoking and then remove it before slicing.  Others remove it before smoking saying that it gives a stronger smoke flavor to the bacon.  My last pork belly I left it on for slicing too.  That leaves you with a thin strip of tough rind after the bacon is fried but that is not a big deal (for me).  Frankly I haven't noticed much, if any of a taste difference any way I've done it.  It's all great!!

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I've tried both ways. Although it is a lot more work I prefer smoking with the skin off. It results in a bacon with a better smoke flavor. I feel that smoke does not penetrate that deeply through the skin, and you end up removing most of the smoke flavor. I remove the skin prior to curing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

consensus  ??? Not here ... well on somethings but I think this boils down to what you like and where you want to spend the time.  For me I leave it on, maybe lazy and while Habs is probably right, I think my smoke flavor is nice and uniform through out the slab because I leave the skin on and let it rest a day or two before I slice or distrub it in anyway.   ;) Brain warps are like that...  ;) Enjoy it your way  :) and let us know

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Bad Flynch

Although it is getting more difficult to find a fresh side with the rind still attached, that is what I look for. I also cure and smoke the side with the rind on. The rind, separated after smoking, is great for flavoring beans, bean soup, and other recipes that could use a little smoky flavor and a little added fat.
B.F.

Habanero Smoker

I generally throw my skins in the smoker on a seperate rack, to smoke and also use them for seasoning in beans, soups, and greens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

I've only done two slabs but had great results with leaving the skin on until after the smoke. You can see and read about it here:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5477.0

-Brian