Big Disappointment- PID & New OBS

Started by rstans, November 27, 2007, 05:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstans

Well, the OBS came, and I'm seasoning it right now..... I noticed that the PID I built will not plug into the OBS.... the Smoker has computer style ends and plugs...  :'(
After all that work; I should have listened to the wife and built the PID AFTER we got the smoker... But I could not wait; I'm sure some of you can identify with that.
Any suggestions????  Did I waste the $100 to build the PID?  There has to be a fix for this.
I'm still doing the Pork Butt tomorrow and will rely on the Maverick remote and just stay home to tend the smoker.
Stans

Mr Walleye

Stans

I have a DBS but I did add a PID to it so I am not overly familiar with the OBS. From what I under stand you could do the same as I do with my DBS. I have power coming directly from a wall outlet to my PID, then from the PID directly to the main heating element in the tower. This is ina addition to supplying power to your smoke generator. You will have to keep the slider for the heat control all the way to the right. You could just rewire the one plug on your PID. I used a power supply cord for a computer. You should have no problem modifying the PID to work with your OBS.

Oh ya....... I can relate!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

rstans

Ok, that makes sense.  I could replace the female end of the PID with an old computer power cord like you said, and then I would plug the smoke generator into a wall outlet as well as the PID into another wall outlet...? So that way, the PID is only controlling the heating element.  Right?
Thanks for your quick response.  I feel better now!
Stans

Mr Walleye

This does sound correct to my knowledge. It would be nice if someone with an OBS and PID ould chime in to confirm.

The only thing I would add is because you are not running it through the generator there would be no fuse unless you added one to your PID. I added a fuse to my PID for this reason.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: rstans on November 27, 2007, 05:53:52 PM
Ok, that makes sense.  I could replace the female end of the PID with an old computer power cord like you said, and then I would plug the smoke generator into a wall outlet as well as the PID into another wall outlet...? So that way, the PID is only controlling the heating element.  Right?
Stans
Bingo!!! The tower needs to run off the PID and the generator needs constant power.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: rstans on November 27, 2007, 05:53:52 PM
Stans

rstans,

Correct. As Mr. Walleye points out, think about fusing. Your fix is simple and you can declare victory....

Arcs_n_Sparks

rstans

Thanks everyone, the pulled pork came out perfect ;D
The homemade BBQ sauce was a hit also.  Thanks to all of you posting on the forums. 
I will fix the PID tomorrow (have to buy a fuse for it).  Thanks again for the help, I'm not so disappointed anymore!  :D
Stans

Stickbowcrafter

Glad to hear it worked out. Now keep on smokin'  ;D

-Brian