ABT help

Started by Smoking Duck, January 05, 2008, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Hey all,

Got two 8 lb boston butts FTC'ing as I write this.  Having a Steeler Playoff party.  Gonna make some garlic red-skinned mashed taters and then I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to do some ABTs.  Got some cream cheese, italian sausage and bacon.  Can't seem to find a temp these are cooked at.  Anyone have a general idea on what temp and how much smoke do you suggest?

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

West Coast Kansan

I am guessing you will wrap the bacon on the outside of the pepper and not be adding bits to the stuffing. Use the bacon as a guide for time (crispy). Smoke and cook at the highest temp you can get.  I have not added sausage to mine but it will take a while to cook if inside so you might want to brown it before stuffing.

Smoke at your highest temp with the tower preheated to the highest temp.  Will take a couple (2) hours - sausage permitting.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

acords

QuoteI have not added sausage to mine but it will take a while to cook if inside so you might want to brown it before stuffing.

WCK is spot on.  Brown the sausage first, make them up and smoke as hot as you can.  When the Bacon is done, time to eat.  I would think 1-2 hours would be plenty.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Smoking Duck

Thanks guys....yes, I browned it first.  Put a layer of sausage then a layer of cream cheese, then another layer of sausage, then wrapped in bacon.

Appreciate the help all.

Habanero Smoker

I now cut the peppers in half length ways, and stuff them. I cook the bacon and crumble it up before mixing it in with the cream cheese, shredded cheddar and honey or maple syrup. I also add various seasonings. I feel smoking/cooking them in this manner you have better control of the time and how crisp you want the peppers, and the serving size is more managable to serve and eat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

That's what I did Habs.  Cut them lengthwise, scraped out the seeds (got a bunch of sissies eating tonight) and then stuffed them and wrapped in bacon.

They look and smell awesome right now.  Guests start arriving in 1/2 hour, so I should be good to go.

West Coast Kansan

HabS, do you do them "open face" so to speak? Would be easier to eat I think but no big leak when you bite them.  I would miss that.  I have alway slit them to clean them out but try to keep them whole.  Am I reading this right?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Habanero Smoker

Yes I now do them open face. They also have a nice appearance. As you point out, there is less of a chance for the filling to be leaking down one's shirt ;D

Some times prior to smoking, I will also sprinkle the tops with chopped roasted pecans to give it a little crunchiness. After smoking, it also give you the opportunity to put a dollop of sour cream on top, sprinkled with cilantro or chopped scallions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

8) Cool, so there you go.  I will do this and put an effort into making them pretty as well.  ;) Thanks

(may still pour beer and wipe some left over stuffing on my shirt just to retain a sense of kansas realism however)  ;)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on January 05, 2008, 02:47:17 PM
8) Cool, so there you go.  I will do this and put an effort into making them pretty as well.  ;) Thanks

(may still pour beer and wipe some left over stuffing on my shirt just to retain a sense of kansas realism however)  ;)

Way to go WCK! Ya gotta keep up that image thing!  8)  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Well, they turned out great!  They were gone before I got done pulling the pork............sometimes it's not so good being the cook :(

Mr Walleye

Hey SD.... I sure hope you at least "tested" a few to see if they were done!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Mike,
Unfortunately, I did not.  Between the pork and making the mashed taters, I was running around like a madman.  I was fortunate enough however to have a couple of adult beverages.  Oh well, they were pretty easy to make....I just may make up a batch for myself when no one else is home  ;) ;)

Marc