Letter to the Editor ST. Petersburg Times

Started by Oldman, December 08, 2007, 11:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

This is my reply to an earlier letter a person wrote to the Editor.
QuoteSubject: Control those guns - Letter to the Editor
Re: Control those guns - Letter to the Editor 12.08.2007

This letter to the Editor caused me to give a great deal of thought as to what this person said. What caused me the most to ponder over was his statement that he would be glad to give up his right to bear arms in order to save those eight innocent persons.

Being willing to give up your rights is a nice warm fuzzy feeling statement in light of this terrible event. In doing so would these eight people still be alive? No they would not. If anyone believes that giving up their rights would have saved this poor souls then that person must also believe that if we put the evil genie back into the bottle this will solve all of our problems and not just gun ownership / control.

I'm a gun owner, and I believe in my rights and will defend my rights when I can; however, I will say there is one item about gun control that really brings the Rooster home to roost.

In Florida and Nebraska, in theory, any 18 year old can legally purchase a semi-automatic AK 47 which is a serious killing weapon. Yet that same 18 year old cannot purchase a pistol of a 22 cal short (the weakest of all weapons) until they are 21 years old.

In my option no 18 year old should be allow to purchase any weapon, let alone an AK 47 until they are 21 years old. The exception to this rule would be any 18 to 20 year old person(s) that are serving in our Armed Forces.

Giving up your rights to own and bear arms is the same as saying you are willing to give up your right to defend the lives of your loved ones. The genie will never go back into the bottle, but at least we can have a responsible gun control that will not grant gun rights until a person is 21 years old.

While I believe this letter will not sit well with the Left or the Right I cannot allow that to influence me. I believe in gun ownership, but I also believe we need realistic gun control. Futhermore, I believe gun owners should take serious steps to insure that their guns are not stolen, as this was the case in the Omaha, Nebraska killings.

Raye Minor

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

That pretty much sums it up I would say Old's. It's not the gun that kills. It's the upbringing of the person that is the factor in the equation. We had a horrible rash of machete / shooting murders in Anchorage last week. Turns out it was all done by one sick kid!!! Killed his dad and two others and wounded a few more along the way in a 26 hour spree. Just blows your mind to see that kind of chit happen. I know for sure Ann and I will not give up our right to keep our "insurance" with us at all times. It's legal to carry up here and by god you can bet we do. Makes those jerks think twice before messing with you. ;)

Smoking Duck

I agree.....saying that guns kill people is like saying the fork made Rosie O'Donnell fat.  People kill people and until we can change this horrible attitude that life is cheap, I'm afraid it will continue.  I think that responsible ownership and carrying does more to deter violence than anything but in my mind, it's a shame it has to be that way.   

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

mybad

I have to agree as well...what IF security was armed? What IF the citizens, in the mall, were armed? Would the gunman be so inclined to go on a shooting spree? Hell no.