spicy peanuts recipie needed

Started by pensrock, December 09, 2007, 09:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

When I made them they stayed soft and mushy and the outside was real dark. YUK, had to toos them out for the birds, I'm not sure they even ate them.  ;D

I guess thats why you started lowering the temp to 200? I also love Louisiana Hot Sauce, but I normally need to add more powdered cayenne pepper to get some heat.  ;D I like a little bite when I'm using hot sauces.  :o ;D

seemore

Pens - Yes, that is why the temp is lower - you want to dry them out, not cook them.
SD - Time frame?  My bad - I don't really know as I never kept an eye on the clock.  It has been about a year since I last made these peanuts.  We just checked them frequently and took a peanut out from time to time to taste it.

Hope this helps.  Sorry I was NO HELP on the time frame.  If you try these, let me know how much time it took!!!   ;D

pensrock

Did you start with raw peanuts or already roasted nuts?

Smoking Duck

That's no problem, Seemore.  I was just curious if I'd be looking at a 2 hr thing or a 10 hr thing.  Oh well, time is on my side these days  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

seemore

ok raw peanuts, duck, I think  2 hours give or take
seemore

Smoking Duck

Thank you very much.  I know exact times are really hard to give.....was just looking for a ballpark figure.  I'm going to have to try my hand at it.  Maybe top with some of the jalapeno powder I made.

SD

seemore

Well, I had to make some of these last night to refresh my memory.
Here they are, soaking in Louisiana Hot Sauce before the smoke:

I then put in the smoker:

I smoked them for two hours at 200.  Then I brought them in and put them in the oven at 220 degrees.  I stirred them every ten minutes and let them stay in the oven for 2 hours and 40 minutes.  
I then put them in a dish lined with paper towels and let them sit to cool.  Once cooled, they were crunchy:

Hope this helps a little more, Duck and Pens.  
Seemore

pensrock

Thanks seemore, those look great. I'll have to pick up some peanuts and give it another try.
pens

Gizmo

Quote from: seemore on January 03, 2009, 09:05:45 AM
Well, I had to make some of these last night to refresh my memory.
Here they are, soaking in Louisiana Hot Sauce before the smoke:

Seemore

Did you add anything to the hot sauce?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Thanks, Seemore.  That helps quite a bit....gonna have to find a place that sells them raw and give it a try this week.  I would imagine the shelf life if stored properly would be a couple of weeks to a month?

Thanks again,

SD

westexasmoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 03, 2009, 11:45:49 AM
Thanks, Seemore.  That helps quite a bit....gonna have to find a place that sells them raw and give it a try this week.  I would imagine the shelf life if stored properly would be a couple of weeks to a month?

Thanks again,

SD

SD worried about shelf life.......like there gonna last that long after ya have a bite!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

These may be just the thing to add some powdered Naga pepper to.  ::) ;) ;D

pensrock

Thanks for the input. If I can find the blanched peanuts I'll give them a try also.
pens

seemore

Giz, we followed the recipe for smoked peanuts that is on the Bradley website.  However, instead of peanut oil, we used walnut oil - very little at that.  And we did add some ground pepper to the Louisiana Hot Sauce mixture.

Duck, you can find raw peanuts in the baking section of most grocery stores. 

Smokinrool, those fried peanuts sound great.  We will see if we can find any blanched peanuts up here in Iowa...

P.S.  If any of you have those high-temp screens from Yard and Pool, you might want to try dumping the peanuts on there to smoke instead of using the glass dish.  I don't have one of those screens (yet) so I can't try it that way........... :-[

P.S. 

Smoking Duck

I looked for some raw peanuts at my grocery store tonight......the grocery stores around here really leave a lot to be desired unfortunately.  The only raw peanut they had were a spanish nut that reminded me of beer nuts.  I really contemplated trying these but didn't pull the trigger.  I guess I'm gonna have to go to the big city to find what I'm looking for  :'(

SD