My Butts are too Big!

Started by FLBentRider, December 15, 2007, 03:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Hello,
I have been browsing these forums for a month or so. I have smoked Pork butts, a brisket, and a Turkey with great results.

On the Butts: the first time I did just one, the next time I did 2. So this time I figured I might as well fill the box up. (OBS 4 Rack)
I bought 2 of the Cryovac packs from Sams, Brined them for a day and a half, and this morning got up and rubbed them with Spices.

I wheeled the 34 pounds of pork to the patio and the pre-heated smoker. As I am loading the meat into the box, I realize that 2 of the butts are too tall. So now I am smoking 2, and when I FTC them, I will put the other 2 in.

I guess I should have measured them....

I would like to take this opportunity to that y'all for all the advice thus far.... FTC, bear paws, ET-73...

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Welcome flbentrider, big butts are a matter of prefrence :D :D :D
Enjoy!!!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

hillbillysmoker

Sounds like you have engaged the slightly altered fully functional backup plan. Good luck with your smoking adventure.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Quote from: HCT on December 15, 2007, 04:59:55 AM
Welcome flbentrider, big butts are a matter of prefrence :D :D :D
Enjoy!!!

I concur.....to quote Rodney Carrington...."I like my women like I like my chicken, with a little bit of fat on the end.  Not too much and not too little, just enough to make me grin."

Ummmmmmmm, that was what you were talking about wasn't it, HCT?

Welcome, Fibentrider.  What I do at Sam's is pretty much what you do.  However, I eye them up (this works if they have more than a couple of the cryovac packs) and then have the butcher there take the ones I think will fit and they'll repackage the ones you want, if you ask nicely.  I even went there the other day and only wanted half of what they had cryovac packed and they simply opened one of the packs, gave me the one I wanted and repacked it for me.

Again, welcome, you're gonna love this place!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

They didn't have any out at Sams when I was there (We usually get there for business hours,about 0730, to avoid the masses at the checkout) . They didn't have any out, so I asked them if they could get a couple from the back. I did ask for the larger packages, but not until 0600 this morning did it occur to me that they would not fit. They went into the brine cooler just fine....

I see most of y'all keep the top vent about halfway; Mine stays almost closed most of the time, just enough room for the temp probe wire, with no smoke leaking out of the smoke generator.

"I like PORK BUTTS! and I cannot lie, some other brother may deny, a dip in the brine and smoke a long time, makes you hungry for it all the time!"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

I'm somewhat partial to big butts my own self!! ;) :D ;D 

Merry Christmas all!
KyNola

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

IKnowWood

I just smoked two cryo packs this weekend.  I have had problems with height, but not that I de-bone the Butt Its more pliable to be squished and such.  I still had some touching on the racks but it still worked.

I can easily see how that can be a big issue, I did not thunk it till I did it myself.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Consiglieri

flb:  be careful with that vent.  If you have it too closed, the smoke and moisture can back up into the generator and foul the unit.  Plus, with that much of a load, if the moisture is not exhausting, that may push cooking temps down too. 

Welcome to the board and good luck with your projects. 
Consiglieri