Tasso ham...ready for some Cajun winter warmers (pics!)

Started by Stickbowcrafter, December 23, 2007, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on January 02, 2008, 08:02:04 AM
Darn good looking tasso NePas.  Used pork loin rather than butt ???  Is that because it will be even leaner than using butt?  That would make sense to me.  Had just never considered using loin.  Think I may give it a try for my next batch.

Used the loin cuz it was buy 1 get 1 free  ;D  Sliced it thin then cubed it.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Stickbowcrafter on January 02, 2008, 11:22:34 AM
Nice NePas! Although I think I'd miss the fat that renders out into the gumbo while simmering away. Mmmm.

I know, I know, this is darn near sacrilege allowing a yankee to post pictures of tasso and gumbo. Sorry, I can't help it. I love the stuff.

3 inches of fresh snow last night...20 degrees...Ahh, perfect lunch...gumbo and long grain rice... ;D

-Brian

Brian

Maybe the yankees have made a new dish?  Northern gumbo?  Bitter cold here tonite 15*. Supposed to be in the 50s this weekend tho.

nepas

KyNola

Nepas,
Got to love buy 1 get 1 free on anything!  I like the idea of using loin for tasso.  Strikes me that it would be firmer just because of the cut of meat.  Thanks for all your ideas and recipes.  You are one of several who have been a big help to me.

KyNola

MoSmoke

Stick,
Thanks for the heads up on the Tasso. I bought the Charcuterie book a couple of years ago and had seen the Tasso recipe but it didn't seem to interesting. After reading your post and the Super G store in my area having porkbutts for $1.29 a pound I thought I would smoke a couple of butts and make some Tasso. The wife was going to make some split-pea soup and we added the Tasso to it during the long slow simmer. It was excellant. I had never had Tasso before, but it's on my list of things to have on hand for winter cooking. A little goes a long way in spicing up food, but the flavor was awesome. We love Jambalaya, so that's scheduled for next weekend.

Thanks again.
MoSmoke

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".