It broke my first smoke :(

Started by Medic, December 29, 2007, 04:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic

I was so excited after doing my research and choosing a Digital bradley smoker, This is such a serious let down and I am so steaming mad. I set up and seasoned my smoker according to the instructions christmas day, I then had to work the next 3 days so unfortunately I was unable to use it. So today with much excitement I bought a couple of chickens and some brautwurst. Seasoned up every thing and started smoking. Well I knew I would be like a kid at christmas wanting to open the door all the time and watch those birds cook, so I ran to get some firewood and gone about 90 min, pulled up in the carport and the lights on the smoker were out, checked my connections then checked my breaker box, all were fine, checked the 10amp fuse on the back and when I unscrewed the cap the fuse was left behind, I grabbed it and when I did it broke apart,(By this time I was about to sobblike a school girl). Grabed my handy surgical tool and got the other end removed pretty easily. Now I am thinking, Just my luck I get the only faulty fuse in the factory. went out bought another fuse came home put it in and NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!!, thought may be there were a few glass shards in the fuse, blew it out and and brushed it out tried a different fuse and still NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!!!!!. Bought it at Cabela's about an hour away, Hope they have another one. Or should I rely on Bradley Smoker to fix it and if so will it be real quick and easy expecially with them paying the postage. I was going to smoke a brisket and ribs for New years day. Also I don't need the embarrassment, I have been bragging to my friends about this smoker and what I will be able to do. Now if they find out what happened it will be months before i will live this down. ANY HELP OUT THERE?????
Desparate in Louisiana
:( >:( ???

Arcs_n_Sparks

Medic,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Might be easier and faster to exchange at Cabela's (not sure what their policy is). I heard of a few fuses coming apart like that, which is actually pretty surprising from my point of view. You will get back on track (apologies to member Ontrack), and your friends will be happy they know you.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Medic

finished every thing in the oven very mild cherry smoke flavor I just don't think it smoked long enough, But the wife and kids are eating and are happy with it.

Ontrack

Sorry to hear about your problems Medic. That sounds like something that usually happens to me. And, no apologies necessary, Arcs.

Medic

Talked with the guy at Cabela's They say they are going to hold the last one for me to pick-up tom. Hope it doesn't happen again, any suggestions if it does?? If it does I will definitely call Bradley HQ and give them a piece of my mind for wasting my time, gas and money.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Medic on December 29, 2007, 06:51:26 PM
Hope it doesn't happen again, any suggestions if it does??

Well Medic, you're the medic. I would self medicate and let Bradley send me a new one.  8)

However, statistics are on your side and I hope things turn out well. I'm drinking to that.....     :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Mr Walleye

Medic

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the problem. It doesn't happen very often but the same thing happened to me. I've only heard of a handful that it has occurred on. It seems that it is a problem with the fuse holder connection, which, when it fails it causes damage to the back of the fuse holder. I can't guarantee this is what is wrong with yours but It certainly sounds like it. Bradley sent me a new fuse holder and I haven't had a problem since. If I were you I would still exchange it at Cabelas because it will be the quickest fix. The fuse holder itself is nothing special and is available at places like Radio Shack. Here is a link.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062230&cp=&pg=1&sr=1&retainProdsInSession=1&origkw=fuse+holder&kw=fuse+holder&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=search

Good luck

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Medic

Well just got back from cabela's they were great had the new smoker waiting for me at customer service, Seasoning it now and hope that everything goes well for tommorow.

SmokinHotPapa

Medic...  Good Luck!  That stinks when you are so excited and it just doesn't work out for ya.  Hope all is well now.  Let us know and keep us updated!