Old's and Wildcat FYI on PID

Started by iceman, January 02, 2008, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Good news you guys. The last of the parts for your PID's got here today. I'll start putting them together for you this weekend. Should have them out to you in a couple weeks depending on my work schedule. Just thought I'd let you know.

Wildcat

Whoopie!  I feel like a hillbilly kid in a candy store!  Can hardly wait.  :D :D ;D  Thanks a million Ice.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: iceman on January 02, 2008, 03:10:44 PM
The last of the parts for your PID's got here today.

Yeah, sorry about the late delivery of the wormhole transplasma flux inverter generator parts to Iceman. He should have those out in no time to you now.    8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SmokyJones

How much work goes into one of those and what does it cost to do?  Also, I wanted to post a few pics of my last pork butt but can't seem to attach an image....what is the process?

Arcs_n_Sparks

SmokyJones,

You need a photo hosting site. I use ImageCave, but others use Photo Bucket. Once you have the image hosted, you insert a URL link in your post back to it.

PID is pretty straightforward. Here is a good link: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

Arcs_n_Sparks

SmokyJones

Thanks for the quick reply Arcs.  I'll look into the hosting site....now as far as that pid link....it looks like it might be over my head  ??? and a little intimidating...I guess I need to print it out and study it for a while.

Arcs_n_Sparks

SmokyJones,

You can do it. This is as close to HeathKit as it gets. Just take your time and look over the steps. A bunch of people here have done it and will help you through it. Basically, you are wiring up off-the-shelf stuff.

Tiny Tim

Also, on the wiring diagram...it reads right to left for power input (wall) to power output (heating element).  Once I figured that out, it was a piece of cake.

iceman

It really is an easy project SJ. With all the reading on this site and all the help you can get it should be a breeze for you. Once you have one your hooked on them for easy temp control.

winemakers

I just completed a set up with Stickbowcrafters Love Temperature Control.  Couldnt be easier. 

My homebuilt PID burned up, no not a wiring error, smoke coming from the vent slots in the pid itself after 6 months of successful use, just component failure and, since I can't do anything twice, time for another idea.

So, I bought the TC, which is essentially a temperature controller/relay all in one.  As in the no such thing as a free lunch, the temperature control is not quite so precise.  Varies by several degrees, but hey, still close enough for my book, and FAR less intimidating to those who dont enjoy the smell of ozone.

I intended to install it in the lower face plate as 'Stick" has done, but I discovered that 5 of the 6 connection points are cracked or failed completely.  Really crummy design, time for a replacement.  When I get the new face plate, I will remove the tc from the current project box and install it into the OBS completely.  Stick really made a clean installation w/o extra boxes, etc.