Help Please

Started by LiL Smokie, December 29, 2007, 12:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiL Smokie

I received a Bradley smoker for X-Mas from my wife.  I am going to start using it with cheaper cuts of meat in case I screw it up.  I am going to try the bone-in pork loin roast from the Bradley recipe.  The recipe says to smoke 6 to 10 hours depending on the size of the roast.  The roast is 4 pounds.  How long should I smoke?  Can I over smoke?  Is there a rule of thumb for smoking.....so long per pound?  Thanks in advance for any help I get.  My next venture will be with bacon so any help I could get there would also be appreciated.  Thanks Again!
Vise-Gripper

kiyotei

Pork and beef can't really be over smoked.  Chicken and turkey is another matter.  Meat only absorbs smoke flavor until it hits about 140 degrees.  The only thing I think you have to worry about is drying the meat out if you cook it too long.  4lbs is not a lot of meat but it has the bone in it and that can take a while to cook.  A good instant read thermometer will help.  Check its temp after about 4-5 hours.

LiL Smokie

Thanks for the help.  I'm going to try it in the morning.
Vise-Gripper

hillbillysmoker

My personal experience is that any thing over 4 hours is wasted.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: hillbillysmoker on December 31, 2007, 01:50:17 PM
My personal experience is that any thing over 4 hours is wasted.

I'm with you hillbilly. To much smoke on any meat makes it tangy and has a  foul bite to it. 2/4 hrs is enuff  :o

nepas

LiL Smokie

Thanks for the help.....the pork was good.  I even had compliments from my Mother-In-Law.  I smoked for 4 hrs.  It was good but I agree with you when I do it again I will only go 2 hrs.

Thanks again
Vise-Gripper

Smoking Duck

Quote from: LiL Smokie on December 31, 2007, 10:15:15 PM
I even had compliments from my Mother-In-Law. 

Then you, my friend, are well on your way to becoming a certified smoking fiend  ;D

If you can pass the battleax test, you can pass anything.  (and no, neither the wife or MIL are looking over my shoulder right now)  ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

LiL Smokie

My MIL is the greatest.  Even if the pork turned out rotten she would have had good things to say.

MIL was looking over shoulder.......nosey as hell
Vise-Gripper

Smoking Duck

Quote from: LiL Smokie on January 01, 2008, 09:12:54 PM
My MIL is the greatest.  Even if the pork turned out rotten she would have had good things to say.

MIL was looking over shoulder.......nosey as hell

;D ;D ;D  You'll fit in well here!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra